Non-aviation: Any members from the "Corn Belt"?

Are there any members here living in the US Corn Belt? This will include states like Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, Minnesota, Indiana, etc.

My reason for asking is that our local corn price is just about directly linked to, and thus very much dependant on whatever happens to be going on with corn in the US. Last year, our prices went rock bottom, apparently due to huge corn plantings over in the US together with the prospect of an all time record crop for 2012. However, we've been receiving more and more sad reports lately about a most devastating drought in the US, threatening its current corn crop. As a result, our local corn prices have shot upwards and continue to do so daily.
Unfortunately, I have sold most of my corn on contract at the end of 2011, at a much lower price, but I still do have a couple of 100 tons that I need to sell. If I can get a first hand account of the actual situation regarding the drought in the US Corn Belt, I can make a much more informed decision on whether to sell now or maybe to hold on a bit longer.
I know this might sound like doing business on a funeral, but is really not my intention. Last year, we did not even cover our production costs and as a result, I'm actually playing catch-up this year and I really share the hardship that the US farmers are currently experiencing.

I would appreciate any information on the current situation over there.

Quote: Lood

Are there any members here living in the US Corn Belt? This will include states like Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, Minnesota, Indiana, etc.

My reason for asking is that our local corn price is just about directly linked to, and thus very much dependant on whatever happens to be going on with corn in the US. Last year, our prices went rock bottom, apparently due to huge corn plantings over in the US together with the prospect of an all time record crop for 2012. However, we've been receiving mI liore and more sad reports lately about a most devastating drought in the US, threatening its current corn crop. As a result, our local corn prices have shot upwards and continue to do so daily.

Unfortunately, I have sold most of my corn on contract at the end of 2011, at a much lower price, but I still do have a couple of 100 tons that I need to sell. If I can get a first hand account of the actual situation regarding the drought in the US Corn Belt, I can make a much more informed decision on whether to sell now or maybe to hold on a bit longer.

I know this might sound like doing business on a funeral, but is really not my intention. Last year, we did not even cover our production costs and as a result, I'm actually playing catch-up this year and I really share the hardship that the US farmers are currently experiencing.

I would appreciate any information on the current situation over there.

Wheat, corn and soybean farmer here and I am hanging on to my grain for at least another month (wheat). Corn is gone and soybeans are hanging by a thread. I don't think we have seen the top yet. The 9 cents worth of corn in a box of corn flakes is projected to go to 17 cents.   PS I'm not Igorbly and I don't know what to do about it, sorry.

Hold on.  Severe drought conditions in Iowa.  More and more corn/beans are being downgraded based on impact from lack of rain in Iowa/throughout the Midwest.  It is going to be nasty.Frown  Prepare for significant increases in meat (farmers already scrambling to acquire feed and hog farmers are spending big bucks not just for feed, but for sprinkler systems to help keep them cool...milk/dairy prices going WAY UP with impact from heat resulting in reduced volume production from dairy cows...

Thanks for al the replies. It's really sad to see your hard work and effort go to nothing right in front of you and not being able to do anything about it. I've had a couple of rounds where hail storms wiped out complete harvests so I know the feeling. Let's hope for a better round in 2013.

Just got done with a fair amount of rain in S WI. The drought conditions here have been terrible. Some of the corn is brown & dying, most is barely holding on. I will say we got about 2" of rain last week & more this A.M.. The crop may be down but I think this will help to turn things around, & get some yield even though it may be down.

I'm no farmer, I do live by a bunch of corn though.