Garmin GDL-39

Garmin's new ADS-B weather, traffic portable rx the GDL-39 is out. The great thing is it will drive the 696 or Aera and other portables. So the 696 still has some life left. Not sure what interface will be used to drive the 696. I have the Zaon XRX currently driving the 696 on the TIS input.

There are others out there for roughly the same price that include WAAS and AHRS and can run a non-certified glass panel on an ipad.  This seems advantageous to me, but I have no experience with practicality of it.  I am interested what people who have used these kind of things have to say.

Or were you soliciting info on the GDL-39 inparticular because it will run your 696?  I don't mean to "thread hijack"...

There are others out there for roughly the same price that include WAAS and AHRS and can run a non-certified glass panel on an ipad.  This seems advantageous to me, but I have no experience with the practicality of it.  I am interested what people who have used these kind of things have to say.

Or were you soliciting info on the GDL-39 inparticular because it will run your 696?  I don't mean to "thread hijack"...

I have a 696 & went to a Garmin presentation on the GDL-39 at OSH yesterday. I currently have 'aviator lite' with XM for my 696. The GDL-39 does have my interest. One thing he pointed out is with the Garmin ADS-B weather, you get 'free' traffic info to most units with the 39. There are some particulars to what A/C have the capability to show up on your screen.

ADS wx being 'free' is enticing. I still like my XM & am not ready to switch yet. I think the XM has a clearer picture, especially beyond the 'higher resolution zone'. That 'zone' was either 75 or 150 miles out from the A/C. I like that XM works on the ground, ADS averages about 1500 AGL, depending. I like that I can look at XM anywhere in the country, ADS wx you can only look in the area of your plane. That can be an issue on longer trips, though I know you can look on a computer before departure. He did say ADS-WX coverage is on track to cover the whole U.S. by the end of 2013(early 2014 at the latest), per FAA.

I'm also not overly concerned about XM weather delay times we've read about lately. Part of this belief comes from flying & some from a WX data guy at OSH. Yes, still fly defensive. I feel XM errs on the conservative side with rain shower returns. It's a great safety tool but of course the eyeball is king for VFR flight.

I like the winds aloft with ADS, not included on the 'lite' package. I was zoning out a bit so forgive me if a detail or 2 is off a bit.

Quote: wiguy

I have a 696 & went to a Garmin presentation on the GDL-39 at OSH yesterday. I currently have 'aviator lite' with XM for my 696. The GDL-39 does have my interest. One thing he pointed out is with the Garmin ADS-B weather, you get 'free' traffic info to most units with the 39. There are some particulars to what A/C have the capability to show up on your screen.

ADS wx being 'free' is enticing. I still like my XM & am not ready to switch yet. I think the XM has a clearer picture, especially beyond the 'higher resolution zone'. That 'zone' was either 75 or 150 miles out from the A/C. I like that XM works on the ground, ADS averages about 1500 AGL, depending. I like that I can look at XM anywhere in the country, ADS wx you can only look in the area of your plane. That can be an issue on longer trips, though I know you can look on a computer before departure. He did say ADS-WX coverage is on track to cover the whole U.S. by the end of 2013(early 2014 at the latest), per FAA.

I'm also not overly concerned about XM weather delay times we've read about lately. Part of this belief comes from flying & some from a WX data guy at OSH. Yes, still fly defensive. I feel XM errs on the conservative side with rain shower returns. It's a great safety tool but of course the eyeball is king for VFR flight.

I like the winds aloft with ADS, not included on the 'lite' package. I was zoning out a bit so forgive me if a detail or 2 is off a bit.

Quote: bd32322

the free traffic info is a bit misleading. To really receive ADSB traffic you have to broadcast your GPS position from the aircraft to the ground stations - then the ground station gets "activated" and it sends you back traffic information. THis is called ADSB-Out and the GDL-39 does not have that. So you can only receive free traffic when you are near another aircraft that is ADSB-Out equipped and broadcasting its position. This is really a governmental thing - because there is no technical requirement for you to be able to broadcast your position in order to get free traffic.

I believe some garmin units are ADSB-Out compliant - but those are much more expensive - I think its GDL-90