What does half a 66 E Model look like?

This is what half a 1966 M20E looks like.  Taking on a co-owner on my plane.  Looking forward to the plane flying more (I fly 50-75 hours/year) and sharing upgrades and fixed expenses.  2006 Cayman S= 1/2 an M20ELaughing.  Not as much fun as cruising over 150MPH at 7500 feet, but it is close.  Looking forward to growing old(er) with both.  Bonus is my partner will soon be a better "driver" of the Mooney (instrument rated and a safe pilot)...He already drives the golf ball a lot better.

post-809-13468141100083_thumb.jpg

they upped it by 20HP, but it's only hitting 260.  Quick but not fast.  I had an '06 corvette which was much faster, but in all honesty, I love the nicer seats and awesome handling from the mid engine setup.  I only did a lease b/c I didn't know if I'd like it.  When I trade it in, I'll get another one.  maybe the S model next time.

Scott,

So where are you going to run that thing?  If you need to make sure it's properly broken in, just ship it to me and I'll make sure the ponies are happy cruising the A3 between Frankfurt and Wurzberg for a few months... Cool

Side note, I was coming back from Heidelberg last night after a softball tournament and was cruising at 170 kmph (102 mph) on the A5 when I got passed by a Porsche Cayman like I was standing still (followed closely by a BMW 7 series...).  Both were probably doing 230-250 kmph if I had to guess. Surprised  It's always fun to drive the autobahn...

Brian

Thanks for the offer Brian.  I would love to take a tour of the plant in Stuttgart.  I believe the Cayman (987) was assembled outside Germany.  Unless you track them you never find the limits of the cars without risking some blue lights.  My economy will definitely be improving with the split on insurance, annual, hanger, XM fee and upgrades as well as unscheduled maintenance...I don't think lycom. makes a non-turbo with over 300HP do they?  I'll stick with the six I have on board.  A lot of owners swap the OEM exhaust...I love the sound and the power feels more than adequate as I never owned a vette.  Closest HP for me was 222 in a '90ZX.  This is a totally different experience than my VW CC...and a lot more smg (smiles per gallon).

Hey Scott, Looks real nice..  I track my 01 Mustang GT at local road courses under the NASA HPDE (High Performance Driving Education) segment.  My Mustang club also sponsors one here the 1st week of July and I volunteer as a tech inspector.  It is really a hoot. I've done it 6 years now and have got signed off for solo the last 3.  It's really a cheap and safe place to let it all hang out.  We go as FAST as I can. All kinds of cars too. No need to go fast on the highway when I can get it up to 120 each lap on the long straight. The real fun is the threshold breaking and hitting the late apexes. After each 20-30 min track segment, I'm pooped and need a break. A weekend ususaly gives you 2 hrs of track time.

Google NASA HPDE and find a track event near you.

BILL

Quote: DrBill

Hey Scott, Looks real nice..  I track my 01 Mustang GT at local road courses under the NASA HPDE (High Performance Driving Education) segment.  My Mustang club also sponsors one here the 1st week of July and I volunteer as a tech inspector.  It is really a hoot. I've done it 6 years now and have got signed off for solo the last 3.  It's really a cheap and safe place to let it all hang out.  We go as FAST as I can. All kinds of cars too. No need to go fast on the highway when I can get it up to 120 each lap on the long straight. The real fun is the threshold breaking and hitting the late apexes. After each 20-30 min track segment, I'm pooped and need a break. A weekend ususaly gives you 2 hrs of track time.

Google NASA HPDE and find a track event near you.

BILL

Bill,

Thanks for your reply.  That sounds like a lot of fun.  Great suggestion!  I just enjoy sitting in it right now :<)  The rest is gravy.  Just back from a week in Northern Wisconsin on vacation.  Missed Oshkosh, but had fun.  Going to drive tonight as I had some withdrawal over last week.  Brian, couldn't imagain the Autostrasse as I saw some CRAZY driving today at pedestrian speeds.  Weather and "stuff" forced us to drive the 400 miles.  Was wishing I could at least flash lights in left lane with a response...I know you get none in states...as 1MPH faster in left lane will get 'er done...so some think and they are right, but could you check your mirror/calculate the approach and spend a couple cents on some gas by increasing pressure on your right foot...Mr and Mrs left lane bandit?