WingX Upgrade w/ ADSB Traffic...

Somebody made notice of the WingX update in another thread already.  ....

One of the updates is to include the long awaited...Traffic to go with you ADSB weather.

Has anyone had the opportunity to give this a try?  Anything positive to report?

Concerns about old data, or uninitiated traffic?

Best regards,

-a-

Just yesterday I saw traffic for the first time on WingX.

If you see where I am (blue plane) and where the traffic is, you'll notice that the person transmitting on an ADS-B transceiver is closer to KRIV because that is where the traffic is localized.

I like the display but I'm not sure if the altitudes it's displaying are actual or relative to mine.

post-105-13468141099351_thumb.jpg

post-105-13468141099715_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dave.

Great screen shots!

I see what you're saying...

Were you able to match the traffic up visually as well?

I would guess that the altitudes indicated are msl as reported by transponders?  If they were relative to your position I would expect arrows pointing up or down. 

This is my best speculation, I will be reading the technical details if WingX has provided them....

Best regards,

-a-

I picked up a sky radar around last November.  First priority is the weather picture.  Second priority is the traffic picture.  Would love to get the strikefinder data overlaid as well, not possible so far...

Not bad for an old iPad...

WingX seems to slowly improve overtime...

Best regards,

-a-

IMHO you need ADS-B *out* to have the traffic utility be of any utility at all. I'd flown for months with the ADS-B receiver and only once did any traffic get displayed, and this is counting multiple transits of high-traffic bravo areas like SFO and LAX.

This is because the ADS-B ground station will only transmit data for traffic in close proximity to an ADS-B out equipped aircraft.

All traffic (ADS-B and Mode C) reports baro altitude ref. 29.92". To show relative altitude the iPad needs to get altitude from the onboard altitude encoder. How would the iPad get your own baro altitude in the portable configuration? Depending on the barometric pressure the difference between corrected and uncorrected altimeter setting could be 1,000ft. You could be maneuvering into the wrong altitude to avoid a collision.

José  

Immelman,

Your point is well understood.  I live between Philly and NYC.  There is a constant stream of continental /united airlines overhead...

I was expecting this level of aluminum overcast to meet the expectations of the advertisements..

As Dave pointed out above, the data is dense in highly travelled areas.

I don't expect my plane to have adsb-out any time soon.

I'll maintain the MK-I eyeball for the near future...

Is anyone really using this technology yet?

Best regards,

-a-

As the previous post suggests, ADS-B out from GA aircraft is quite a while away.....nothing will match a 330 or similar for anytime soon, the manufacturers know this and that is why they are all concentrating on the easier and much more available ADS-B wx. I have used the stratus for GPS and wx quite a few times and very happy with it. I have access to most of technology either before or right when it comes out and do not see any ADS-B traffic that is worth it, other than watching the airliners that do have it buzz high above us...

Traffic is displayed for anyone who is in radar coverage regardless of if the have adsb-out or not. For those with adsb out, you can see their call sign as well as posit and alt displayed on whatever gonkulator you use (mfd, etc). That being said, I fly the majority under ifr, and adsb traffic only gives me a warm fuzzy about the controller's ability to call out traffic. For me, adsb traffic is kinda cool, kinda gimmicky. While it can impress passengers, for me, it provides the same SA as "mooney xxx, traffic 11 o'clock, 5 miles, opposite direction, co-alt".

• 1 month later...

WingX

Another update has been posted to the App Store.

I was unable to copy the details of the many details that Hilton & Co have included.

Definitely go to the app store and have a look...

www.wingx.com

Best regards,

-a-

I downloaded it this morning. Some changes include improved status for GPS, ADSB, AHRS systems

• 3 weeks later...

All traffic (ADS-B and Mode C) reports baro altitude ref. 29.92". To show relative altitude the iPad needs to get altitude from the onboard altitude encoder. How would the iPad get your own baro altitude in the portable configuration? Depending on the barometric pressure the difference between corrected and uncorrected altimeter setting could be 1,000ft. You could be maneuvering into the wrong altitude to avoid a collision.

José

Garmin GDL-39 has a baro sensor installed in it.

Garmin GDL-39 has a baro sensor installed in it.

Where does it says it has an internal baro sensor. Even if it has it you could have an altitude discrepancy of 300ft if not connected to a static port. How would it work on pressurized airplanes? The other option I can think about is that the GDL-39 receives the onboard transponder altitude via the antenna.

José

• 3 months later...