B-17 Bomber Ride

Txbyker

I had the great opportunity to ride in a B-17 this past weekend as a Father's Day gift from my kids. I am also fortunate in that my home base David Wayne Hooks also hangers one of the last remaining B-17s on the west side for those of you that are familiar. I pieced together some videos from a camera and iPhone to try to convey the flight so excuse this attempt at video editing. Note= the music in the background was a live band, not my addition.

http://youtu.be/3K0YLEM86U8

Wonderful video and amazing plane, Russ. Thanks! A bit of history about the B-17 and the mighty 8th Air Force.

More than 12,700 B-17's were built by Boeing, Douglas, and Lockheed between 1939 and 1945.

Approximately 6,000 heavy bombers (B-17's and B-24's) were lost during operational sorties, and another 2,000 were written off as a result of crashes or extreme damage suffered in combat. Around 2,500 were returned from Europe after the war, most of which went into storage in the Arizona desert. Only a handful have survived, and even fewer are flying today.

In addition to the 6000 American heavy bombers lost, there were 500 medium bombers, and 2500 fighters lost lost in WW II.

Over 30,000 airmen were killed or missing, almost 30,000 wounded, and still another 30,000 prisoners of war. Only one of three airmen survived the air battle over Europe during World War II. Our losses were extrordinary. The casualties suffered by the 8th Air Force in World War II exceeded those of the US Marine Corps and the US Navy combined.

Freedom, sadly, is not a God given right, and must be fought for, earned, and defended. The B-17's did their part.

The B-17 is my favorite airplane.  You are so lucky to have gone up in one.  My grandfather flew B-17G's in WWII.  8th Air Force, 401st Bomb Group, based in Deenthrope England.  I was fortunate enough to visit Deenthrope in the late 1990s with my family - one of the runways is still in operation.  When I was younger I used to watch reruns of the old TV Series Twelve O'Clock High, which was a TV series based on the Movie.  The movie especially illustrates the stress of the great air war.  Memphis Belle is another good B-17 movie.

My grandfather died of a heart attack (his third) in 1971 - he was 50 years old.  No on else in the family is a pilot (except now my cousin on my mother's side who I got into flying - he's now a regional first officer with American Eagle).  I also have an uncle who was a Bombardier on B-24's in the Pacific theater. 

Irving, my paternal grandfather, flew 48 combat missions over Europe.   His first aircraft was the Lady Luck, and was shot down over France.  He bailed out and was returned to base.  His second aircraft was the Landy Luck II - which he had to ditch in the English Channel.  He finished the war in the Lady Luck III.  That is why my former, 1967 Mooney M20F was the Lady Luck IV, and my current 1983 Mooney M20J Missile 300 is the Lady Luck V (also know as "Hank" due to the previous owner - yiou can PM me about that).  I'm pretty sure I've got some of his flying blood in me.  I would have loved to have had the opportunity to all these years later take him up in my Mooney.

In the early 2000s, I was fortunate enough to fly in the B-17G "Fuddy Duddy" in Geneseo, New York, when the Geneseo Air Museum owned it before it was sold to Mr. Lyons in California 2005. 

One of my long term goals is to get a SIC type rating in a B-17.  I know those are offered in the B-25.  Another goal is to one day own or be a part owner of a T-6 and get my hour or two in a P-51.

Glad you enjoyed your ride and thank you so much for sharing the video.

Take care,

-Seth

Very cool guys.  I have hopes of going up in a B17 some day.  I really hope to go up in this plane if they ever get it flying: http://www.museumofflight.org/aircraft/boeing-b-17f-flying-fortress

If you read the history of the plane, after WWII it was converted to an aerial sprayer by the Biegert brothers.  That was my wife's grandfather and great uncle.  I did check to see if N17W was still registerd with the FAA and I was going to nab it for my plane :).

Thanks guys.  Gary, Seth you point out some amazing statistics and heritage about WWII.  The Commemorative Airforce is trying to keep the old bird alive as tribute.  It is a shame but many of the latest generations know little about fighters and bombers roles 75 years ago.

The B-17 you flew in is Texas Raiders and it just recently (well, maybe in the last few years) came out of a major restoration.  Glad to see her flying again.

The Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum is located right near Savanah/Hilton Head International Airport KSAV.  I need to make a point to get down there and see it as they are restoring a B-17 for static display and also have a specific section set up for the 401st Bomb Group.  I'll try to attach a picture I have of my grandfather and crew.

-Seth