Let's Talk Lubrication

BigTex

Sorry to keep asking, but I was looking at oils for the control surface hinges. Would something like 3 in 1 oil or air compressor oil be good? or would you use a low viscosity motor oil like 5w20?

LPS 2 vice tri-flow has been recommended for the hinges. It's what I use. I use tri-flow for all the rod ends.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

"Or with an FAA approved equivalent lubricant". What's it say in your M20F maintenance manual?

"tervals not to exceed 12 calendar months from the last inspection or 100 hours time in service from the last inspection, whichever comes first, lubricate all flight control systems and landing gear system rod end bearings with a silicone spray lubricant or with an FAA approved equivalent lubricant"

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

For the folks that bought molybdenum disulfide powder, how is that stuff mixed?  I ended up with a bottle when I purchased my Mooney last year and I'm working through the lubrication and inspection schedule finally got to step 16... :wacko:

20 minutes ago, MisfitSELF said:

For the folks that bought molybdenum disulfide powder, how is that stuff mixed?  I ended up with a bottle when I purchased my Mooney last year and I'm working through the lubrication and inspection schedule finally got to step 16... :wacko:

I just bought a small grease gun. I mixed the grease in a Dixie Cup with a popsicle stick and packed it in the grease gun. I just use that grease gun for the actuator.

12 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I just bought a small grease gun. I mixed the grease in a Dixie Cup with a popsicle stick and packed it in the grease gun. I just use that grease gun for the actuator.

But what kind of grease did you mix it with?

MFS,

There is a thread or two that covers this lubrication mixing thing...

Can’t remember any of the details to point you towards them though...

You aren’t the first person to come across this, as if that would be helpful to know...? :)

Earlier in this thread Byron gave a lot of detail... he might know... @jetdriven

Best regards,

-a-

6 hours ago, MisfitSELF said:

Unfortunately that doesn't help.  My MX manual says to use a 10% by volume mix of the moly.  That's it.  It doesn't say what the other 90% is suppose to be.  I'm guessing it's #7 or #22 Aeroshell but I'd rather not guess.

Didn't intend to be snarky. I don't remember and I wasn't anywhere where I could look it up.

Thanks, that reference to the Service Bulletin help but my bird doesn't have the Dukes or the ITT actuator.  It has an "Avionics" brand actuator.  Regardless, it calls out the moly mix for the flap acuator and something about a "ball fitting" (sorry I don't have the MX manual here at work), and there is evidence that the previous owner (or A&P) applied the moly mix to the screw drives on the trim, gear and flap drives (eg, its a thick clean black grease).  There is another reference for another part that states what sounds like a Aeroshell #7 + 10% moly mix for another part but for this one -- all it says is 10% moly mix.  I guess at this point I should take a picture of the MX manual page, post it here, and see what the hive mind of the Mooniacs come up with.

For reference I have a '84 M20J.

Bruce

5 minutes ago, MisfitSELF said:

Thanks, that reference to the Service Bulletin help but my bird doesn't have the Dukes or the ITT actuator.  It has an "Avionics" brand actuator.  Regardless, it calls out the moly mix for the flap acuator and something about a "ball fitting" (sorry I don't have the MX manual here at work), and there is evidence that the previous owner (or A&P) applied the moly mix to the screw drives on the trim, gear and flap drives (eg, its a thick clean black grease).  There is another reference for another part that states what sounds like a Aeroshell #7 + 10% moly mix for another part but for this one -- all it says is 10% moly mix.  I guess at this point I should take a picture of the MX manual page, post it here, and see what the hive mind of the Mooniacs come up with.

For reference I have a '84 M20J.

Bruce

Although the moly grease looks nasty, I wouldn't have a problem with what the previous MX did. It is a good choice for all of them.

Just be careful with that ckean bkack grease. Molybdenum disulfide does not wash out of clothes. I had a workshirt with some on the shoulder, washed it 2-3 times a week for almost 3 years, but it was still quite visible. It is great grease, though.

13 minutes ago, Hank said:

Just be careful with that ckean bkack grease. Molybdenum disulfide does not wash out of clothes. I had a workshirt with some on the shoulder, washed it 2-3 times a week for almost 3 years, but it was still quite visible. It is great grease, though.

A quick search of things that will dissolve moly indicates that most of them would dissolve the shirt first.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I got a chance to review my MX manual this evening and where it calls for the 10% moly mix it also says I could use Lubriplate 630AA.  Turns out I also have a jar of it in the stash of stuff I got from the previous owner!  So for now, problem solved....I think.

I just looked up all the MIL specs with aeroshell years ago and came up with the Aeroshell numbers. I've always heard that they don't want you to use any penetrating oil (tri-flow) on hinges because it could void the seals on the hinges. I know in the Manthy seminars he recommends motor oil on hinges.

-Robert

• 1 year later...
On 4/20/2018 at 5:13 PM, RobertGary1 said:

I just looked up all the MIL specs with aeroshell years ago and came up with the Aeroshell numbers. I've always heard that they don't want you to use any penetrating oil (tri-flow) on hinges because it could void the seals on the hinges. I know in the Manthy seminars he recommends motor oil on hinges.

-Robert

The hinges are sealed needle bearings. You can put oil on them or whatever, but it just gets your plane greasy.  It’s not doing anything. 

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

Then it seems strange that Mooney requires them to be lubricated every 100 hours with low temperature all-purpose oil.  Any idea why?  Both ideas seem plausible to me.

IMG_2140.PNG

The manual also says don’t fly LOP and a lot of other stuff.  What I do agree with is using a penetrant oil on sealed bearings is not a good thing.  If the logic is regular oil doesn’t help then why use expensive Tri-Flow and if regular oil does help it certainly won’t ruin the seals like a penetrate will.  My guess would be to lubricate the seals.

I follow Jerry’s lead on this he is smarter than me. 

Edited by M20F

5 hours ago, jetdriven said:

The hinges are sealed needle bearings. You can put oil on them or whatever, but it just gets your plane greasy.  It’s not doing anything. 

Not sure about this. I believe that Mooney uses PN3A bearings. I cannot find a spec sheet online for this. Closest I could come is Motion Industries listing https://www.motionindustries.com/productDetail.jsp?sku=02664850 which lists it as having an open closure. Maybe someone can find a full spec sheet. If it is unsealed, then light oil would make sense every 100 hrs.

Skip