JP Instruments.

I've tried JPI support a couple of times, but unfortunately I don't have much luck in determining which of their engine analyzers are approved as primary indicator and what the price would be when I trade my EDM700 in on such a primary instrument. So, I though someone here might know.

I basically want to know whether any of the JPI range, except the EDM900/930, are approved as primary instrument to indicate oil pressure, oil temperature, fuel quantity, amps/volts and CHT. I want to replace the cluster gauge in my Mooney with digital. I already have an EDM700 with FF, so I basically only need the approved head, together with the few probes that I don't have currently installed.

The model you want would be the 711.  The price might be dictated by how many functions you want it to be primary for, its been awhile and I don't remember, sorry.  I know it can be primary for MP and RPM, plus some other things.

I may be wrong, but I don't think any of the square faced units that mount in a round instrument hole are capable of being primary for anything except maybe the 900.  JPI has two websites, and if you will go to http://www.jpitech.com you will find their price list.  As I recall, it is not complete, but some products are listed by whether they are primary or not.  Remember, primary means they have to be STC'd as primary, not just TSO'd for installation in an aircraft. 

Oscar, I think whoever told you the 930 is the only primary was wrong.  I had a 711 in my plane four years ago, primary for RPM and MP (I did a panel upgrade project and now have a 930), and the 711 is on their 2012 price  list.

The issue is the fuel quantity. You can replace your MP, RPM, etc with a TSO'd or FAA-PMA gauge with out any issues. It's my understanding that the 930 is the only unit that can be installed in your aircraft and be the primary instrument for fuel quantity and everything else.

I just traded in my 700 for the 730.  You need to check to make sure your harness is compatible but for mine it was essentially plug n play.  I had an existing Shadin fuel flow so I bought the harness kit for the EDM730 to hook up to my fuel flow transducer and did away with the Shadin.  I did not hook up MP or RPM as that was pricey.

Shadin was about $1200 after swap 700 for 730. Fuel harness $120 to connect to the transducer. Install labor $500.

You can get all of the readings you want on the 730 but I dont know if it is approved over the analog gauges.  I still have redundancy and triple in some cases like fuel.

Quote: Sabremech

The issue is the fuel quantity. You can replace your MP, RPM, etc with a TSO'd or FAA-PMA gauge with out any issues. It's my understanding that the 930 is the only unit that can be installed in your aircraft and be the primary instrument for fuel quantity and everything else.

Let me clarify, in most cases your replacement instruments need to be STC'd, but that is not always the case. I'm doing a field approval with an FAA-PMA six pack instrument cluster into my Mooney. None of these gauges are STC'd. So your statement is only half correct. I don't want to spend $6500 on a JPI 930 to replace my gauges as the value just isn't in my airplane to do it. So, in my case I'm doing the field approval for a Mitchell 6 pack cluster to replace my original 6 pack for $900. I may take it a step further and get an STC for the installation in Pre J Mooney's so other operators have a less expensive alternative to replace old out dated instruments.

I'm in the business of manufacturing FAA-PMA parts and STC's, so I'm quite familiar with the requirements of the TCDS.

Go to www.jpitech.com, not jpinstruments.com.  Click on Price List right column.   Scroll to SINGLE Engine EDM-700/800.  Second to last bullet point.  Can't help more, gone flying.

PS it says oil and TIT, but they did othersfor me.  Call them.

Is this what you are looking for?   

Section 13 - EDM-711 Primary Alarm Display

The EDM-711—There are 3 primary functions available to your EDM-700/800 CHT, OIL and TIT. When an EDM-700-800 has primary functions it is called an EDM-711. A Remote alarm lamp is supplied that will function even when the primary display fails. Each lamp is a dual lamp Red/Yellow. The lamp will light when the indicated temperature exceeds alarm limit. The limits for these alarms and warnings are preset by the factory for your type of aircraft and can only be changed at the factory. The yellow warnings are set as follows: CHT 45°F below redline, OIL 25°F below redline, and TIT 100°F below redline. Tapping STEP will extinguish the flashing digital display but the remote yellow/red warning indication cannot be extinguished. In the procedure in the next section to change the alarm limits, you will not be able to change the limits for CHT, OIL or TIT. 

http://www.jpitech.com/manuals/09/Pilots%20Guide%20REV%20W%2003-07.pdf

I went a separate route.  I replaced ALL except fuel quantity with EI gauges.  I then had a Insight G3 installed giving primary for Exhaust and Cylinder Temp and redundancy in MP/Tach/Voltage/Oil/Fuel Flow with gauge on pilot side of panel.  Nice to cross check with the EI Primary gauges.  My price with redundancy was in line with the certified flat screen JPI for all gauges.  I did a little at a time (when on sale etc.) to save $.  The lean feature of the G3 is Very good and user friendly.  Just another way to upgrade with certified primary STC'd solution.

• 1 month later...

Quote: PilotDerek

The EDM 900 is STC'd to replace all engine instruments including l & r fuel quantity. It costs the same as tne 930 but it is the size of the 830. It is on my wish list. Anyone have one installed yet?