Racoon in the hangar.

I went to the hangar yesterday and for the first time it really stunk in there.  There were these small "turds" all over the floor.  About 3/8 in in diameter and 1.5 in long.  There must have been 50 scatterd around the floor.

Anyone else had these and have a way to keep them out ?

Bill

Quote: DrBill

I went to the hangar yesterday and for the first time it really stunk in there.  There were these small "turds" all over the floor.  About 3/8 in in diameter and 1.5 in long.  There must have been 50 scatterd around the floor.

Anyone else had these and have a way to keep them out ?

Bill

I'd use the Dirty Harry method but that would mean I'd have to spend the night...

I have a fabric one as can be seen behind the plane in the photo.  There are several "holes"  including the personnel door which has a broken zipper. In the 7 years I've had it, I had maybe 2 -6 pieces total.. Nothing like this weekend.

Perhaps I'll borrow a have-a-heart trap from a friend and "capture them", take them to my other property about 10 miles away and let them go. .. Wonder how many I'll end up with !!!

BILL

NOthing in the trap !.. Now I'm wondering.. The weather was great here these past few days.. I wonder if it's using my hangar to keep dry ? No rain till next week but I'll keep the trap set and check it daily.  Don't worry guys, if I catch something pictures WILL BE POSTED HERE FIRST !  Of course it could be working during the week and only come to the airport on weekends.. Like so many pilots...

BILL

Usually coon poop is larger, softer with seeds, & dark to black. It's often piled like a small dog. Yes, I've been in the outdoors a while.

If it looks like an elongated pencil eraser I'd lean towards a possum or even a rat. Anyway you cut it still a pest. If it's a non-secure building(with holes) you may have a new one visit for each you catch. That's like those that dispose of squirrels visiting the bird feeder, plenty to replace the ones caught.

It's a given all food signs, smells, & containers should be removed, water too. Any entrance holes should be plugged. The best way to avoid them setting up shop or frequently visiting is to leave them something that will cause them to cease. That would be poison left out of the way of a pet getting it. Even mouse & rat poison will kill a coon, they just need a little more. FYI, 30% of coons here have worms that can be a hazard to pets.

SO far, it has not come back. Then again, it has not RAINED since I put the trap out. I found some pictures of different animal droppings on the web and it could be either possom or coon. They are pretty close.  I'll update this thread when I get eomething.

BILL