Twin Experience

I flew up to my in-laws cottages in northern Wisconsin (D25) and watched a twin land as I was preparing my plane for departure.  I was in the tie down that is immediately adjacent to the fuel pump.  I thought to myself what a beautiful bird as she taxied in.  I also thought "maybe I should take my plane over now for fuel...but then thought that is a lot of money and they probably want to make a quick turn".  Plane taxied up to fuel pump and proceeded to unload over next ten minutes...I waited patiently to access the pump and said to the pilot "I am going to take on fuel after you are finished" as there was a lot of continued un-loading and slow progress going on as they were I'm sure not aware that I was planning on taking on fuel...The owner then said "don't forget to turn off the pump, I'm sure he would like some free fuel"  "I joked sure would"...and he said in a very serious voice "I bet you would"...

That was my last twin experience.

A few years ago when I owned the Aerostar I was doing my mechanic a favor by taking one of his customers from DuPage airport to Quad City Iowa to pick up his Conquest II...Filthy rich guy, a bit of a prick, would not get into a single engine to save his life. When we arrived at the FBO, the line guy asked if I would be staying before I was able to say anything Conquest man answers " he's my driver, put his landing fee on my tab", turned around and didn't even say thanks. I suppose he thought the service was complimentary. Luckily these kind of people are the exception and not the norm.

Quote: alex

A few years ago when I owned the Aerostar I was doing my mechanic a favor by taking one of his customers from DuPage airport to Quad City Iowa to pick up his Conquest II...Filthy rich guy, a bit of a prick, would not get into a single engine to save his life. When we arrived at the FBO, the line guy asked if I would be staying before I was able to say anything Conquest man answers " he's my driver, put his landing fee on my tab", turned around and didn't even say thanks. I suppose he thought the service was complimentary. Luckily these kinds of people are the exception and not the norm.

Kill with Kindness is my motto. I would have gotten out of my aircraft and went over to help unload his aircraft. The whole time I would have been mentioning in a not so subtle way that the fuel point is for fueling, not for loading and unloading aircraft. See, you get your aircraft fueled quicker, and they get the point that they are in the wrong.  They person might not have been a total prick about it then. He was probably hot, tired, hungry, dealing with a upset wife / child, airsick, maybe had some bad news, who knows?

Quote: richardheitzman

Kill with Kindness is my motto. I would have gotten out of my aircraft and went over to help unload his aircraft. The whole time I would have been mentioning in a not so subtle way that the fuel point is for fueling, not for loading and unloading aircraft. See, you get your aircraft fueled quicker, and they get the point that they are in the wrong.  They person might not have been a total prick about it then. He was probably hot, tired, hungry, dealing with a upset wife / child, airsick, maybe had some bad news, who knows?

Quote: richardheitzman

Quote: scottfromiowa

I hear you.  This was likely a chartered plane.  Pilot(s) were doing the un-loading and fueling...owner/charter chimed in with comments.  I am a do it yourself guy (load/fuel my own plane when able-CID has no self-serv fuel), but not going to help with his bags...no thank you.  I am not comfortable with someone unloading my golf bag or carrying my luggage...Just don't want/need/expect that.  I had no response to his "I bet you would" comment as it told me all I needed to know and was my measurement for/of the man.

I WILL move my plane over to the pump next time...Lesson learned.

I hear you too...Some fights aren't worth fighting, but in retrospect your point is well taken and I agree that I should have moved in and explained what I thought of his comment and specifically what I feel he should do with the gas pump after his "driver" finished with it.  Life is full of moments.  I had a nice flight home. He is merely a worm in the afterbirth...with means, but not the class or dignity to go with it.

Quote: scottfromiowa

I hear you too...Some fights aren't worth fighting, but in retrospect your point is well taken and I agree that I should have moved in and explained what I thought of his comment and specifically what I feel he should do with the gas pump after his "driver" finished with it.  Life is full of moments.  I had a nice flight home. He is merely a worm in the afterbirth...with means, but not the class or dignity to go with it.

150 drivers ALWAYS want free fuel....Heavy winking and smiling and nodding going on :<)

I sure did when I was training in one...sadly I have paid for every gallon of fuel for my lowly 550+ hours (although my wife Kelly probably feels she has paid for a bunch...and she has).  I'm done Jim you are of course right on target.  Just a little cathartic release...