replacing rocker switches on 201J

ScottF

We have a '78 201J.  A few of the rocker switches, pitot heat, nav lites, strobes, etc.  are very worn and don't seem to have very good action.  I would like to replace these.  Does anyone know of a good source for these switches.  I found some at Chief Aircraft http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/Aircraft/InstallationSupply/RockerSwitches.html .  Would these be a reasonable replacement?  Is it true these switches are some sort of circuit breaker, too?  Thanks for any info you can provide.

I had the same problem last year with my switches and was starting to have light turn off on me during flight (nav and landing). Problem was traced to old and faulty swithces. My AP made me a new switch panel not utilizing the mooney switches and replaced all of them. Basically he told me 'you can spend almost a grand on the original type or a couple hundred on toggle type. Look at my picture gallery and you can tell which way I went: zetro problems since then. By the way, they are NOT switches, they are indeed circuit breakers.

Good luck

George

• 6 years later...

There are two different manufacturers for the CB switches. They have slightly different styles.

They are available from the vendor directly or have distributors that they can point you to.

Aircraft spruce doesn't carry the whole line.

You might be able to search for switches and their covers in the search box.

A lot of people were looking for just the updated covers with the nice labels.

expect the price to be over $100 each...

Best regards,

-a-

On 7/14/2016 at 5:40 PM, Ocalafly said:

George

interested in converting my Mooney J model switches also. I know aircraft spruce sells rocker switches that are also breakers, but am unsure of how the conversion would be accomplished. Any suggestions/help.

What year J do you own? Early model Js will have the Klixon type rockers and the later Mooneys have ETA versions. They are not interchangeable due to how they attach to the buss bar. Both Klixon and ETA rockers found in Mooneys contain breakers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
12 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I found the picture of the differences. Based on the covers, they may be ETAs.

02861199bdf45647b5f1dfac824b6325.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Excellent.  I am not sure which ones they are .  My Mooney is a 1978 but had the panel redone 5 years ago (Prior Owner).

Which is which in the the picture of the two switches?

Excellent.  I am not sure which ones they are .  My Mooney is a 1978 but had the panel redone 5 years ago (Prior Owner).

Which is which in the the picture of the two switches?

Klixon on top, ETA on the bottom.

• Like 1

Just now, Marauder said:

Klixon on top, ETA on the bottom.

Thanks....I will get under my instrument panel tomorrow and get a closer look. 

These switches have breakers in them; don't they?