In flight break up of Pilatus PC-12

Last night I watched the NOVA program on the accident investigation into the Air France crash from Rio to Paris. Three pilots. Here's the thing. While re-creating the chain of events, with 2 experienced pilots, they made all the right decisions and therefore avoided the crash. I guess when you are safe on the ground with no souls in back, it is a lot easier to make the right decisions.

Quote: Piloto

Wonder if he had XM weather onboard since it is obvious that weather was better NE of the route. The quick descent could have been in response to loss of cabin pressure. This would have increased his speed to the point of structural failure specially when combined with turbulence.

José 

Quote: jackn

Last night I watched the NOVA program on the accident investigation into the Air France crash from Rio to Paris. Three pilots. Here's the thing. While re-creating the chain of events, with 2 experienced pilots, they made all the right decisions and therefore avoided the crash. I guess when you are safe on the ground with no souls in back, it is a lot easier to make the right decisions.

I guess when you are safe on the ground with no souls in back, it is a lot easier to make the right decisions.

Anyone who's been through a 4-hour simulator evaluation might disagree.  The decisions aren't easier.  The consequences of error, though not physically dangerous, can have serious career ramifications.  Flying the line is the easy part.

Sorry, but the AF pilots were irredeemably incompetent.  Why the lacked the most basic of instrument flying skills is debatable.

Dick, if they were taught from 0 total time the aircraft cannot stall under any circumstance, and then it does stall, and you dont know what to do, can you blame them? We teach pilots to fly the automation, then fault them when  the automation fails.....

And it won't stall if you simply maintain cruise, climb, or GA  power and cruise attitude.  

As I said, they were incompetent.  The only question is why.  Lack of training or sheer stupidity...or both?

First, teach pilots to fly.  Then, teach them to manage the automation to make the flying easier. 

('Nuff hijacking.)

Wonder if he had XM weather onboard since it is obvious that weather was better NE of the route. The quick descent could have been in response to loss of cabin pressure. This would have increased his speed to the point of structural failure specially when combined with turbulence.

José 

Quote: xftrplt

How many of us would have our families fly in a SE jet (albeit one with an unducted fan) piloted by a single PP without* a type rating?  Not I. 

This is a loophole, which, if you have enough money, is large enough to drive a truck through.

It still amazes me that the media can always find some turkey to shove a microphone at who says something like,"Yeah, I seen it go over an' it sounded lak ther engine wuz a tryin' tur quit an' finally it jus' did.  It wuz turrible."   It doesn't matter where the accident happens, there is always this one doofus they manage to find. I guess he's a cousin of the guy who always seems to see smoke an' "far coming out" when the plane crashes from running out of fuel.

I went to a FAAST Seminar today and during a break, a Pilatus flew in and I got to speak with the pilot. He feels the guy never slowed down to manuevering speed, which he should at first sight of the turbulence.  If he had, they all might be here today talking about. it.

BILL