Which pilots boast the faster planes?

Who boasts the most optimistic speed (and other performance numbers)?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who boasts the most optimistic speed (and other performance numbers)?

This Cirrus SR22 guy ("Mr. TCAS" from a previous thread) we met at Brenham was loading himself and his 2 passengers. Us, being naive and friendly, approached this guy and peered into the cockpit from behind the wing.  He turned, and we asked how he liked the Cirrus, seeing as it was the first one we seen up close. Gee-whiz glass panels and Clorox bottle with wings. He said its an awesome airplane.  We asked is that a G1000?  How fast does it go? How much fuel does it use?  Now his face turns kinda red and he gets this condescending tone. "It goes 180 knots on 12 GPH. Noooo, this is an Avidyne panel.  And this is the handle for the parachute."  He asks is that our 201, and he used to have one but it  "aint nothing", was cramped and slow. He is big time now. I answered it burns 9 GPH, he replied "thats all it does". His passengers laughed heartily.   Someday I would want a superior airplane like his. 

A few minutes later, and one 2000 RPM Continental hot start, Mr. TCAS got his gizmos all set and ready to taxi.  But he can only swerve left and not taxi.  There is a chock under the left main and his "superior airplane" has no steerable nosewheel.

We get home and find out its a 240$ an hour rental.

Quote: jetdriven

This Cirrus SR22 guy ("Mr. TCAS" from a previous thread) we met at Brenham was loading himself and his 2 passengers. Us, being naive and friendly, approached this guy and peered into the cockpit from behind the wing.  He turned, and we asked how he liked the Cirrus, seeing as it was the first one we seen up close. Gee-whiz glass panels and Clorox bottle with wings. He said its an awesome airplane.  We asked is that a G1000?  How fast does it go? How much fuel does it use?  Now his face turns kinda red and he gets this condescending tone. "It goes 180 knots on 12 GPH. Noooo, this is an Avidyne panel.  And this is the handle for the parachute."  He asks is that our 201, and he used to have one but it  "aint nothing", was cramped and slow. He is big time now. I answered it burns 9 GPH, he replied "thats all it does". His passengers laughed heartily.   Someday I would want a superior airplane like his. 

A few minutes later, and one 2000 RPM Continental hot start, Mr. TCAS got his gizmos all set and ready to taxi.  But he can only swerve left and not taxi.  There is a chock under the left main and his "superior airplane" has no steerable nosewheel.

We get home and find out its a 240$ an hour rental.

Quote: Becca

I think Mooney pilots can be pretty annoying about this - we see a new plane and the first thing we ask is "how fast does it go? .. and on how much fuel?"  Usually the statement that follows is "I do 150 kts on 9 gph in my Mooney, but gee, your plane sure is nice otherwise."  Rarely do I see a Mooney pilot comment first on the other features of the airplane.  I think Bo pilots talk about speed as much as we do, but they are just as likely to talk about their panels, the big doors, etc.

Once approaching from behind, a C182 and another time a C177 RG, controllers asked me to deviate 10 deg to avoid running into them. That made my day!

While the Cirrus SR22 is faster than my 201, they are gas guzzlers (16gph for 185 kts) and need 310 hp to achieve this performance. No comparison.

Sriram 

'78 M20J

Quote: wishboneash

Once approaching from behind, a C182 and another time a C177 RG, controllers asked me to deviate 10 deg to avoid running into them. That made my day!

While the Cirrus SR22 is faster than my 201, they are gas guzzlers (16gph for 185 kts) and need 310 hp to achieve this performance. No comparison.

Sriram 

'78 M20J

Radio keys and I hear "Aircraft on final, we're on downwind and we don't see you on our TCAS, is your transponder working?"  I was not witty enough, being focused on landing and all, to key the mic and say "Don't you have eyes to use instead of TCAS?" or "Don't bug an airplane on short final with pointless not-relevent questions", I think Byron piped up on the radio he was recycling the transponder.