Which pilots boast the faster planes?

Who boasts the most optimistic speed (and other performance numbers)?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who boasts the most optimistic speed (and other performance numbers)?

Of the brands (and/or types) of planes out there, who do you think boasts about speed the most? Who presents the most fudged. overly optimistic, in other words BS numbers about their planes? And I'm not talking about manufacturers in this case, talking about a bunch of pilots shooting the wind.

On the flipside, who do you think sells their aircraft short? Who gets the numbers right on the money?

I think mooney pilots talk the most about it... Probably because we're the fastest!

Cessna pilots don't seem to talk much about it... At least not the ones I know (I'm not in the corvalis tax bracket... More 152/172 type guys...). What the 170/180 types do talk about is their ability to land on very small, unimproved strips... (yes, piper painter proves that we can do it too ;) )

I hear many Bonanza pilots say they can throttle back to Mooney speeds and burn the exact same fuel.  I have yet to actually see documentation of this.

Last year at OSH we sat down to eat a hot dog and the two other men got into a tiff about his Cardinal RG. Conversation about speed and fuel burns comes up, and he throws down that his Cardinal RG burns the same fuel and goes the same speed as a Mooney. 8 GPH and 150 knots.  Now, he has the same -A3B6D engine, but ~4.4 SQFT of equivalent flat plate area. I'm no rocket scientist, but I am sitting next to one. I choked on the hot dog. If I didnt have 200 hours in a '71 Cardinal RG perhaps I woudnt have known better.  But the filter between my brain and mouth is rather weak, small and porous.

I find Cherokee drivers seem to exaggerate a lot. Tales of 135kt Cherokee 140s and 150kt Arrows... Their speed mods seem to be additive too? 

Maybe they're trying to justify their purchases, maybe they're bad at math. Who knows? 

Quote: jetdriven

I hear many Bonanza pilots say they can throttle back to Mooney speeds and burn the exact same fuel.  I have yet to actually see documentation of this.

Last year at OSH we sat down to eat a hot dog and the two other men got into a tiff about his Cardinal RG. Conversation about speed and fuel burns comes up, and he throws down that his Cardinal RG burns the same fuel and goes the same speed as a Mooney. 8 GPH and 150 knots.  Now, he has the same -A3B6D engine, but ~4.4 SQFT of equivalent flat plate area. I'm no rocket scientist, but I am sitting next to one. I choked on the hot dog. If I didnt have 200 hours in a '71 Cardinal RG perhaps I woudnt have known better.  But the filter between my brain and mouth is rather weak, small and porous.

It is a known fact that the adage "figures lie and liars figure" originated about the time that airplanes came into being in the early 1900's.  The original adage was "pilots lie about the airspeed of their airplanes and rarely tell the truth about fuel burns".  Yes, I know, there doesn't seem to be much connection, but accountants got a hold of it and bastardized it to their own purposes.

Then, in the 60's pilots started flying Mooneys.  At this point the lying became do outrageous (Mooney 201 !!!) that everyone else had to take it up just to stay in the ball game.

Jgreen

I think SR22 drivers

Btw It's the third Cirrus i/v seen now in a short time frame that was heavily damaged by pilot error....mhmmh.. I wouldn't like to pay the repair bill on those (if they can be repaired at all..?)..

Maybe I am wrong but I think Mooney's attract a different piloting crowd...?

Glasair and RV7 drivers like to talk speed also..Laughing

Quote: 201er

Of the brands (and/or types) of planes out there, who do you think boasts about speed the most? Who presents the most fudged. overly optimistic, in other words BS numbers about their planes? And I'm not talking about manufacturers in this case, talking about a bunch of pilots shooting the wind.

On the flipside, who do you think sells their aircraft short? Who gets the numbers right on the money?

Quote: 201er

Quote: Vref

I think SR22 drivers

Btw It's the third Cirrus i/v seen now in a short time frame that was heavily damaged by pilot error....mhmmh.. I wouldn't like to pay the repair bill on those (if they can be repaired at all..?)..

Maybe I am wrong but I think Mooney's attract a different piloting crowd...?

Glasair and RV7 drivers like to talk speed also..Laughing

As for statistics; I'm 90% sure that I'm full of "it" 90% of the time.

If I have learned ANYTHING in my 63 years it's that the single biggest personal mistake any of us can make is to take ourselves or anyone else too seriously.  

I'm 88.89% sure of that.

By the way, my Bravo cruises 200 knots on about 11 gph, with some statistical variation of course.

Jgreen

I did 110 knots on Sunday at 2500 feet.  Outside temp was 82...of course I had the roof air vent open and the retractable step probably wasn't retracted so that probably accounted for about 40 knots...and there was just a wee bit of a headwind...

Fuel burn was only 9.5 GPH though...

I believe a 172 would have been going backwards.

Quote: Becca

I think the Cirrus is the new "v-tailed doctor killer".  People are buying it with a lot of money and not a lot of experience with planes, but they want the newest/best.  Every time we heard a plane go around at Osh, we looked up and it was a Cirrus.   Not that I don't climb in one and envy how well equipped and comfortable it is myself, and wonder if I had that much money (Byron would probably make me buy a Baron...)....

Quote: johnggreen

As for statistics; I'm 90% sure that I'm full of "it" 90% of the time.

If I have learned ANYTHING in my 63 years it's that the single biggest personal mistake any of us can make is to take ourselves or anyone else too seriously.  

I'm 88.89% sure of that.

By the way, my Bravo cruises 200 knots on about 11 gph, with some statistical variation of course.

Jgreen