Landing Light Lens

That could qualify under an owner-produced part provided it conforms to the original design.  You could heat the Plexiglas and bend it over a form or perhaps by hand.  For 3$ its worth a try. 

You can duplicate the curve and saw it with a bandsaw out of an 6x6 chunk of wood.  Heat the plexiglass, then place between the wooden forms and clamp them.  Trim to fit and drill the tiny holes at the top when done.

perhaps you can even install it under FAR 43.

7. Replacing bulbs, reflectors, and lenses of position and landing lights.

12. Making small simple repairs to fairings, nonstructural cover plates, cowlings, and small patches and reinforcements not changing the contour so as to interfere with proper air flow.

• Like 1

You could use the old lens as a mold. Just cover it with some insulating material like thick cloth. Then heat the new lens with a heat gun and place it (wear gloves) over the old lens pressing it to conform. Try using Lexan instead of plexiglass. Use a dull drill bit to avoid cracking the lens when drilling the holes.

José

Please do not use Lexan. For starters, the original is plexiglass and any owner-produced part must conform to the original type design. Second, Lexan gets brittle with UV light and after about 2 years, it turns yellow and is easily shattered.  We go went through all this on boats. People use Lexan (polycarbonate) for hatches, and after 2 years, they step on one and fall right through.  It is not the same as Plexiglass. That is arcrylic.

Quote: N4352H

I bought a lens for a 201 from the factory 4 years ago. $44.00. Makes a huge difference... the first time I flew at night, it was quite noticeable. It's a crying shame having a cloudy lens make a 12k paint job look bad.

There are drill bits optimized for drilling plastic, and I highly recommend their use. The point taper is different, and I have bought sets of them from plastic fabricators such as TAP plastics here on the West Coast. While they are considerably more expensive than regular metal/wood bits, I've never had any cracking or burning in using these drill bits in polycarbonate or arcrylics. The use of a drill press is very helpful.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'm looking to purchase one of the replacement landing lights lenses from Great Lakes Aero, can anyone explain the difference of the lens with bumps 2414 and the one without bumps 2414-II? I cannot determine the difference looking at the picture on their website. My aircraft is a M20K and I don't see anything on the current lens that would be considered a bump of any kind.

• 1 year later...
On May 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM, 231Pilot said:

$54 from Great Lakes Aero.  Be sure to get a step bit to avoid caracking when any drilling is done.  They are a quality company with quality products.

Can you believe, as of June, 2016, that price is $253.00? The price of plexiglass must have gone crazy in 4 years...