Replacing rotating beacon with Whelen LED Beacon

NotarPilot

I've been wanting to replace my old belly mounted Grimes rotating beacon with something more reliable and more visible.  I really like how bright these new technology LED flashing beacons are.  I went to the Whelen website and downloaded the installation instructions. I saw they have a 28V kit that's TSO'd with a 5 hole pattern that looks like a perfect drop-in replacement for my Grimes, with a 5 hole pattern.  Problem is I have a 14V system and don't see the Whelen LED light in 14V with the 5 hole pattern.  I might have to get the 14V light with a 3 hole pattern and fabricate an adaptor to have it fit in the larger 5 hole pattern.

Has anyone installed the new 90520 or 70900 series Whelen LED flashing beacon?  If so, are you happy with it?  Any helpful suggestions?

I believe Hank has a 71080 installed one on his C model.  I saw them at OSH, they are ridiculously bright.  I believe a TSO allows it to be used on aircraft but that is not an approval to use on a specific aircraft.  You may need an STC, a 337, or an A&P  that views it as a minor alteration.

I replaced my rotating beacon with a Whelen LED beacon.  I used DER approval and 337 as the path.  Whelen supplied a mounting ring with no holes as I remember.  You can e-mail me at johnabreda@yahoo.com if you are interested in more details.  It is seen lit up in a picture in my gallery.

John Breda

My old Whelen high-voltage blinker became intermittent, with time between flashes ranging from 2-3 seconds [normal] to several minutes. The Whelen rep at Sun n Fun last year gave me the correct replacement number, it's a nice LED unit. I'll have to look up the part number, I just ordered what he said to use. The same trim ring from the old unit fit the new one, and 3-holes sounds familiar. They are just assymetric enought to require close inspection because it only fits one way. Wired it in, crimped everything inside tubing, put a little silicone caulk on to make it watertight at the A&P's suggestion. It is lots smaller, should increase cruise Mach by 0.0001 at least!

Just replaced my mechanical rotating beacon with a Whelen LED. After researching the possibilities, my A&P installed Whelen part number 01-0771055-00 (As per the logbook). Very visible and takes close to no power at all...

http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/Product%20Sheets/71055_Series_LED_Anti-Collision_Light.pdf

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
See if [mention=13533]OSUAV8TER[/mention] can answer that... he has a fair amount of Whelen experience...
-a-

Yeah the Whelen website can get really confusing. Basically, you have two options. You can flush mount this light like I did (
) of you can get the light with the 3.75” base adapter to fit over the hole that the big Grimes light leaves. The flush mount adapter can be sourced separate from light. You’ll probably need the 5 hole adapter but you need to see how the Grimes light is mounted. You will use existing holes. Honestly, I’d buy the light without an adapter and then buy the adapter separately. The adapters are like $30 each but some dealers will mark the light with adapter up by $150 more. Wilco is a great source for adapters for the lights.

I do have one new 28V belly mounted LED light (same model as above) with a 3.75” adapter. Spruce sells it for $720, I have it priced for $600. Model 7108055.

Clear as mud right?

-James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I couldn’t get away from the size and sleek look of these:

https://m.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/elpages/galacticaredbaronxp.php?clickkey=5779

so, I bought one to replace the coffee grinder at annual next month. I’ll let you know how that goes. More than expecting to have to manufacture a mounting plate. 

1 minute ago, chriscalandro said:

At 1400$ I'm sure I can get passed the sleak look for something else. 

Wasn’t cheap. But neither is the airplane. May as well get what I want for a couple hundred more. 

NotarPilot, I just had the Whelen Model OR36R2N installed on the aft belly of my plane. It's a very low profile LED beacon and super bright. It has 20 RED LED's.  It's 28V VDC.  I hate taxiing around at night with the distracting strobes on, so this takes care of that.  Good luck with your selection, and I hope you find something that works well for your plane.  

On 2/16/2019 at 10:45 AM, jetdriven said:

The whelen LeD beacon is 500$. It’s less than half that Red Baron and it has a little more drag, but not 500$ more. 

$720 vs. $900.... but not splitting hairs on it. No regrets spending the extra for a sleek look. One of many to come.