Mooney CA Formation Clinic: 23 June KMHV

Dave Marten

Mooney Pilots,

The Mooney Caravan is hosting a formation practice session at Mojave, CA Saturday June 23rd. We'll be able to facilitate both initial training for Caravan/B2Osh as well as an opportunity for continued formation practice prior to Oshkosh.

We'll be basing out of the Mojave Air and Space Port (KMHV) with group lodging available at the Mariah Country Inn & Suites adjacent to the airport. Welcome to Mariah Country Inn & Suites - Official Website

Schedule:

Friday 22 June PM:

- 6pm: Group Dinner: Mariah Mexican Steak and Seafood Restaurant

- 7pm – 9pm: New guy academics + beer at host hotel

Saturday 23 June:

- 0700: complimentary breakfast at hotel

- 0800: Mass brief – flight assignments

- 0830-1030: Sortie 1

- 1030-1200: Sortie 2 – optional enroute training sortie to Camarillo, CA (KCMA) to join Vintage Mooney Group for lunch at Waypoint Café else lunch at Voyager Restaurant at MHV

- 1400-1530: Sortie 3

- 1600-1800: Sortie 4

Group Dinner/Social 1900 location TBD

Sunday 24 June:

- 0700: Breakfast at hotel

- 0800: Mass brief

- 0830-1200: AM fly for those interested

We’ll be teaching initial academics Friday evening. Target audience is Mooney/B2Osh pilots who have not yet attended a clinic or would like a re-hack prior to flying. Can accommodate any B2Osh who have not yet attended a clinic or any other pilots new to formation regardless of aircraft type.

Advanced 4 ship may be flown based on the needs/experience of those attending, but the prime focus is on Oshkosh preparation.

Location: Mojave is in the high desert of CA less 30 min flying from the LA basin. I’m avoiding the coastal locations due to the potential for June gloom. The desert promises clear skies, but the potential for mid-day heat is a factor (as is the San Joaquin Valley). Anticipating the heat we’ll start flying early and look to potentially make the second AM sortie a fly-out to KCMA or similar formation-friendly coastal (ie cooler) location for lunch.

Registration info:

Host Hotel: Mariah Country Inn & Suites group rate of $79/night. Please call the manager, Cathy Benson 661-824-4980 and ask for the Plane Inn Corporate rate with the Mooney Pilots Group.

Clinic Registration:

Practice Session signup will be via e-mail to Dave Marten dandtmarten@hotmail.com or david.marten@edwards.af.mil phone (605) 390-8044

Include: Name, e-mail, phone, aircraft type/model, formation exp, desired training (ie: 2-ship initial, Osh Practice, adv, etc).

Fee: minimal – est $10 each to cover water, photocopying, etc.

Questions?

See you in Mojave!

David:

That was why I asked the question I did at the beginning of this year.  Last year I took formation training from a Canadian flight instructor just for this purpose.  You indicated that was OK.  See our exchange on http://mooneyspace.com/index.cfm?mainaction=posts&forumid=1&threadid=4290.

I am in Bangladesh now on UN duty until the end of June and not likely to make to any of the workshops on your list prior to my intended departure for Maddison on the 19th or 20th of July.  Any suggestions?

Quote: edgargravel

David:

That was why I asked the question I did at the beginning of this year.  Last year I took formation training from a Canadian flight instructor just for this purpose.  You indicated that was OK.  See our exchange on http://mooneyspace.com/index.cfm?mainaction=posts&forumid=1&threadid=4290.

I am in Bangladesh now on UN duty until the end of June and not likely to make to any of the workshops on your list prior to my intended departure for Maddison on the 19th or 20th of July.  Any suggestions?

David:

Thank you for the opportunity to demonstrate proficiency.  I had already planned to be in Madison on the Friday for just such a contingency.  We will arrive loaded to the gunwales with camping gear (but well under gross) and I will plan for a Caravan safety pilot to fly in my aircraft during the proficiency check.  

I am really looking forward to this.

• 1 month later...

So now I owe David an apology.  I will not be able to make the Caravan this year.  Too much work and not enough time to prep and then participate in an activity that demands respect and attention to detail. Not being sufficiently ready is not an option.

Lesson for next year ->  Book no work for at least two weeks prior to the Caravan.  Will also give me the time to participate in one of the clinics next Spring.

My apologies David for giving you such a hard time and then bailing at the last minute.  I am not concerned about the registration fee.  Put it to good use or save it for my registration next year.  I will be back.