Anyone got experience clearing a title?

I cleared mine up myself. 

I tracked the lineage of the bank that had filed the 8050-1 in 1979 against my Mooney that I bought this last April.  The bank changed names a bunch of times but I tracked it to SunTrust.  I opened a case with them and asked them to show that the loan for my plane was still outstanding or to sign an 8050-1 that I had prefilled out for them.  They researched and returned the 8050-1 to me.  They then asked me if I wanted them to file it with the FAA for me.  I had them file it which saved me the $5, waited 60 days and ordered my registration records from the FAA for $10.  I got the CD 10 days later and the lien clearance had been filed by Sun Trust.  

I did though buy the lien insurance to protect my investment while going through this process.  The lien insurance company offered to do the lien clearing for an additional $719.  I choose to do the legwork myself.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Dealing with similar situation right now. Title on the plane that I’m willing to buy has:

1. Old Lien (section 2 on the title).

2. Cloud note (section 3 of the title). In 1980s The Contract of Sale was submitted to FAA but FAA rejected it because it wasn’t properly executed.

Aero-space reports were able to remove the Old Lien but failed with the 2nd issue cuz all officers of the Seller are deceased. For me, cloud note looks insignificant…but I’m financing, so tomorrow shall hear from bank what do they think about it.

Has anyone had experience with cleaning that kind of notes (not the old liens)?