Niagra Falls

Quote: Bnicolette

KIAG is super friendly and close to the falls.  I would recommend landing there then driving over to the Canadian side.  If you're IFR Buffalo approach will work you and let you circle the falls at the proper altitude then when you're done KIAG is right there.  Have fun!!!

Niagara Falls has  Special Air-Traffic Rules. No flight is authorized below 3500 feet MSL. There is a clockwise pattern over the falls, and you have to broadcast  your intentions and monitor on 122.05. Do not exceed 130kts. I'm not very far from the falls and have flown their many times.

Quote: stevesm20b

Niagara Falls has  Special Air-Traffic Rules. No flight is authorized below 3500 feet MSL. There is a clockwise pattern over the falls, and you have to broadcast  your intentions and monitor on 122.05. Do not exceed 130kts. I'm not very far from the falls and have flown their many times.

The information on flying over the Niagara Falls area is on the Detroit sectional. I normally aproach Niagara Falls from the east and contact Buffalo aproach for class "C" transit. When I have the falls is site, they will tell me to change to 122.05 before entering the pattern. When I'm done flying around the falls I contact Buffalo aproach for the return. You don't need to file a flight plan when flying in the pattern around Niagara Falls even though the pattern takes you in and out of Canadian airspace. The only time you would have to file, is if you aproched the Falls from the west thru Canada.

• 6 years later...
On 5/8/2012 at 3:57 PM, stevesm20b said:

The information on flying over the Niagara Falls area is on the Detroit sectional. I normally aproach Niagara Falls from the east and contact Buffalo aproach for class "C" transit. When I have the falls is site, they will tell me to change to 122.05 before entering the pattern. When I'm done flying around the falls I contact Buffalo aproach for the return. You don't need to file a flight plan when flying in the pattern around Niagara Falls even though the pattern takes you in and out of Canadian airspace. The only time you would have to file, is if you aproched the Falls from the west thru Canada.

Old thread, I know.  

Is this still accruate?  You don't need to file a flight plan when overflying Canada if departing and landing in the US?  If VFR technically do you not need to talk to anyone and simply squawk 1200 the entire time?  Obviously you should monitor 122.05 and report.

I may make a trip up there IFR soon landing at IAG, and may want to have them work the flight around the pattern at 3500+ at the falls, and I'll do more research, just curious.

Thanks,

-Seth

Old thread, I know.  
Is this still accruate?  You don't need to file a flight plan when overflying Canada if departing and landing in the US?  If VFR technically do you not need to talk to anyone and simply squawk 1200 the entire time?  Obviously you should monitor 122.05 and report.
I may make a trip up there IFR soon landing at IAG, and may want to have them work the flight around the pattern at 3500+ at the falls, and I'll do more research, just curious.
Thanks,
-Seth

Seth - the easiest thing to do is call up Buffalo Approach and ask for the scenic tour over the Falls. You need to be at 3500 or above, using the KIAG altimeter setting and need to stay below 130 KIAS. At some point you will be told to switch to 122.05 and when you complete your right hand patterns with position reports, you can then come back up on Buffalo approach. It can be a zoo there and the helicopters were below you (not sure if helicopter flights are still going on there).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Seth said:

Old thread, I know.  

Thanks,

-Seth

I will be interested to learn what you learn Seth.  I was just talking to my 17 year old son this past weekend about sometime before too long going to check out the falls.  Since despite being in "upstate" for so long I have never seen Niagra Falls - nor has he.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seth said:

Old thread, I know.  

Thanks,

-Seth

Yes Seth. I was up there last August and landed at IAG. From IAG I flew direct to Navy Island and then enter the RH pattern as published. Buffalo will help you and then 122.05 and 3500 or above.There will be helicopters below you. It's very nice provided you have CAVU conditions when you can see the falls and take pics. It was hazy when we went up. 

• Like 1

It's great! After a PPP a few years ago, i talked to the FBO and picked up a paper with all of the details. Weather was far from CAVU, there weren't many others circling the Falls. My wife took a zillion pictures from the right, but I was too busy flying to do anything other than take a few glances.

Go for it, Seth. You'll both enjoy it.

On 5/23/2018 at 12:06 PM, Seth said:

Old thread, I know.  

Thanks,

-Seth

You can do the scenic falls either IFR or VFR. IFR usually is done at 4,000ft and Buffalo gives you vectors. In your flight plan, just let Buffalo know you want to fly over the scenic falls before heading to the destination.

If VFR and departing to do the scenic falls from IAG, just tell Niagara Ground you're planning to fly scenic falls before heading to destination (or picking up IFR clearance). Min 3,500ft altitude. Report on 122.05. Right hand pattern.

Reporting points are the "golf course" and "horseshoe falls" and you're supposed to turn before the rainbow bridge. There are some maps online of the pattern and if you overlay with satellite view that may help. Helicopters are pretty much always there but they always stay at 3,000 and below are no factor if you hold altitude. If there is another fixed wing in the pattern, I suggest definitely finding a different altitude if you can't keep in visual contact.