Children and Airplanes

Do you both own and airplane and have children?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you both own and airplane and have children?

We have two children, now 10 and 12. I bought my first airplane when they were 2 and 4. Of course, their needs come first but we've managed to keep flying as well and we're very far from rich - never mind "uber rich". Sacrifices? - you bet. Other guys play golf, spend thousands on RC models, go skiing in the Alps, drive impossibly expensive cars, live in multi million dollar homes, etc, etc.
I just fly.

I have no kids of my own and never wanted any, but my wife's son from her first marriage lived with us from the time he was 6 until 16. I've been fortunate in my career so I was always able to support him and my flying habit. And it's probably no coincidence that I upgraded to my Acclaim about a year after he moved out. Smile

Neither he nor his mother share the wonder I always felt about flight. In fact, they both slept through most of our flights. Kinda bummed me out, but to each their own.

My wife has no desire to learn to fly. That's fine with me because I wouldn't want her backseat driving to transfer to the cockpit! She's a bit of a scaredy-cat in the plane so I'm having a hard time convincing her to take a pinch-hitter course, which would make me feel better as the years keep piling on.

• Like 1

Quote: colojo

I have no kids of my own and never wanted any, but my wife's son from her first marriage lived with us from the time he was 6 until 16. I've been fortunate in my career so I was always able to support him and my flying habit. And it's probably no coincidence that I upgraded to my Acclaim about a year after he moved out. Smile

Neither he nor his mother share the wonder I always felt about flight. In fact, they both slept through most of our flights. Kinda bummed me out, but to each their own.

My wife has no desire to learn to fly. That's fine with me because I wouldn't want her backseat driving to transfer to the cockpit! She's a bit of a scaredy-cat in the plane so I'm having a hard time convincing her to take a pinch-hitter course, which would make me feel better as the years keep piling on.

• 5 months later...

My wife only likes to fly when we are going somewhere like the beach. Not much interested other then that. Sure wish I could break the code on that. I grew up flying in N9135V (also a '69 F). Probably came off the line the same time as yours. I've been waiting for it to show up on the board.

I'm looking at N9135V to purchase here in TX. It's apart now for annual. Where did you grow up?

No kids, never married..I do have a great gal of ten years. I guess in some states thats married. About 20 years ago my brother was a Navy TopGun instructor and at the time he convinced me that getting PPL would be a great challenge and loads of fun (even though he called us GA pilots "puddle jumpers"..LOL). I took the challenge and got it right at 40 hrs min. It was great fun and no regrets. Only problem was at that time in my life my career was in law enforcement and earning only 45K a year, even as single guy the $50 an hour to rent was a tough pill to swallow on that salary. I was living Portsmouth, NH..about an hour north of Boston so cost of living was steep.

Many years have passed now and after a 20 year lay-off from flying I've gotten the itch again and have been going full steam since last year. The other half is not as excited about flying, but it work in progress. She goes for short trips around the area, less than an hour at a time. After a vested retirement from LEO I have been lucky enough to own my own businesses for over 15 yrs now. So to answer the question..no kids and none in the future. She and I are at mid-life 50ish, the Lord has blessed me and my business during this economy and allowed me to enjoy the view from the clouds in my Mooney. Had I taken another path..no so sure I would have been able to light the fire again.

I have 5 kids and own a 4 seater M20C. Now they are grown up however, about 10 years ago, me and the wife took some friends flying in that same Mooney (I was partner with someone else then on the aircraft) and I recall the comment from my friend: Yves... that airplane... you will never fit all your kids in there right? and my answer... you know... this is to get away from them...and fast...

Humour of course!

Yves

C-FQKM

I have a similar story I got my license and flew renting planes for a few years then got married had a daughter and then when my son was born flying just kind of faded away. Fifteen years later I got back into flying and went all in and bought a plane. Now two years later I’m buying a second plane. However, now I have somewhere to go to utilize the plane and it is not jut a toy to go have fun with. If you try to rationalize and justify the cost of owing a plane you will drive yourself crazy. If you can use it and will use it then get the plane and take the kids somewhere. My son was 15 when I got my plane and he not really interested in flying :-(. Maybe my grandson will get the bug to fly, but he is only 3 months old.

My youghest is now 18, I did record in my log book passengers name and he came with me over 80 times before he got around 15 years old. When my friends ask me how much my kids like to fly I answer this: Not more than a drive to the convenience store...

Yves

C-FQKM

Great threat. I haver four boys, two from my firs marriage and two from my second... (talk about being an optimist). My older boys, now 14 and 16, could not care less about flying. They never got interested, although I took them to the airport each an every weekend. My younger kids (Four and nearly 2) on the other hand love airplanes! But the 2 year old is scared of the noise... So at this point only the 4 year old is really into flying... He loves it, and gets upset when I go flying without him. He even says that he wants to become a pilot, like daddy...

but at least the four understand that daddy is an airplane fanatic and that N9341V is their sister/brother that they have to respect and love.

We have three sons in a row and then the princess. Started with a Tomahawk for $8,300. Bought an '83 Beech Sierra with six seat option that worked well for us for many years, then got the J. We live on the island of Martha's Vineyard so the shortest trip to our off-island car saved the boat ride and all kinds of time. Years ago I flew with my three sons from the Vineyard to San Diego and back and they still talk about it. College kids made it to the island in the airplane and two different girls flew here first to meet us and married our two oldest sons. We don't own any of the big boats in the harbor and I don't drive a Porsche, but life has been very good. Been married 35 years and I think if I wanted a different wife the plane would be the first thing to go!

• Like 1

We have three sons in a row and then the princess. Started with a Tomahawk for $8,300. Bought an '83 Beech Sierra with six seat option that worked well for us for many years, then got the J. We live on the island of Martha's Vineyard so the shortest trip to our off-island car saved the boat ride and all kinds of time. Years ago I flew with my three sons from the Vineyard to San Diego and back and they still talk about it. College kids made it to the island in the airplane and two different girls flew here first to meet us and married our two oldest sons. We don't own any of the big boats in the harbor and I don't drive a Porsche, but life has been very good. Been married 35 years and I think if I wanted a different wife the plane would be the first thing to go!

marks

Sounds like a wonderful story.

Oscar

Marks:

Are you based at the main airport or Katama? I flew to Katama many years ago with wife, son and gorgious blonde to spend the day at the beach. The runway is kind of rough for a Mooney but a 65C can handle it OK.

Yves

C-FQKM

Yves, I have a hangar at the main airport at the Vineyard. I've never landed at Katama in all my years of flying but there's a great restaurant there call "Right Fork" and just outside there's a bi-plane with a radial engine that takes site-seeing trips. All kinds of airplanes land right in front of the outside deck and it's very pleasant in summer.

Marks,

I definitively want to go back there, possibly this coming year. From Canada it is about a 2 hour flight which is great to get to a relatively warm water coast beach. I do not remember when we went if the bi-plane was there or not. I have several good memories of this flight: Taking off behind F-16s in Burlington VT, US custom agent seized our California grown apples in our lunch cooler (because the wife removed the stickers from them when washing then at home): After the agent asked if we also had vegetables...When the wife started to say: We do have..(in French) I immediately said "NO WE DONT". I don't mind loosing the desert apples but I would be really upset not having my celeri with my meat sandwich!... so that took care of it. lolll

I'll let you know when we have firm plans to go Mark!

Yves

I started flying lessons when my older child was not quite 2, and his sister was 6 weeks old. The children's father suggested it as a go-at-own-speed excuse to get out of the house, which, he insisted was bound to be cheaper than psychiatry. Eventually we found ourselves as part owners of a Skyhawk which shortened trips to see far flung relatives, and even more eventually wound up with our current ride, a 1980 Mooney 231. Now THAT turned out to be the real magic carpet, and so it continues to be, more than two decades later. Our kids grew up in that airplane, and got a fair amount of mileage out of My Mom's Airplane (small town strange but coolness). Now those youngsters have children of their own, who also have logged a fair amount of Mooney time. I have learned a lot about flying with kids. Thing 1: Mild hypoxia is a fine cure for sibling rivalry. Nothing like a turbo Mooney to get to FL Peace-and-Quiet, about 12000 feet, in a hurry. Thing 2: Cross-country Mooney flights are more interesting teachers of geography, geology, meteorology, etc., than textbooks. Thing 3: Four hours in a Mooney beats two long days in a car by a long way, and makes all sorts of three-day-weekends out of expeditions that would have required at least a week off work otherwise.

My husband has done several hours of right-seat training over the years, and he's a bright level-headed fellow who would doubtless survive his own landing, but has no desire to compete for the left seat. The kids? Neither has any desire to learn, but are happy to come along or send their own little ones. The least grandson, now 5, is especially enthusiastic about all things with wings. And I still hear from our many exchange students who marvel in retrospect at what an amazing opportunity they were given while they were part of our family.

Expensive? You bet. As my CFII consoled my spouse, who was appalled at the price of Jepps at the time, "Honey, you got to remember. Exciting women ARE expensive."

But what we spent on avgas we didn't spend on fine cars, pretty clothes, golf, and luxury hotels. You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

• Like 1

I am very willing to host a fly-in to Martha's Vineyard. In fact if any Mooney lovers fly here I can loan them a car or two and if you can drive a Harley I can loan you one of those. I know reasonable places to stay (especially in spring or fall). Personally, I love to order a large brass tin filled with numerous hot lobsters lined up like sardines and serve them with ceasar salad and champagne. Around here if tourists like us, we like them.

Starting in November the bay scallops come in. (There's no end to good stuff, oysters Rockefeller with Gruyiere cheese.) Je peux parlez francais aussi!

• Like 1

One more thing... If you have any plans to fly to the Vineyard please e-mail me at: mark.alexander@invpro.com I am a Financial Advisor on my own clock and I can give good advice and walk out of my office at any time.

• Like 1

What a truly great offer!! We flew to PVC to spend a weekend with an "imaginary friend" (internet buddy) at a house he rented last month at Truro, and had a perfectly wonderful time, so we are eager to get back there again. Might just have to take you up on that. And when the cold wind howls up yonder, Mooney friends are hereby invited to take advantage of the southbound push, tie down at KEDE, and then come sit on our porch swing and enjoy our town's quiet historic charms and mild days overlooking the Albemarle Sound.

Marks, this is very nice invitation and we will surely contact you sometime in the spring.

La raison pour laquelle nous avons ce merveilleux avion est pour nous permettre de faire de beux petits voyages dans ce genre!

We acquired the aircraft recently and it is going to get some improvements and overdue maintenance done soon: It is getting the LASAR cowl closure installed, new gear pucks etc. and we are flying with AA to California mid-November so quite busy here for the fall.

Wife wants to go shop to New York and I like the beach (we both love lobster). I would like to extend the same welcome to you marks and Amelia. We are based at CYRO, Ottawa which is an airfield located in the National Capital. On this site we have the Canadian Aviation museum just across the runway. There are no large permanent TFRs for the city except a few restricted areas a few miles wide over the parliament and the prime minister residence up to 3 thousand feets. There are no Customs at CYRO however this can be cleared at Cornwall or Ottawa International.

CYRO info:

http://archive.copanational.org/PlacesToFly/airport_view.php?pr_id=1&ap_id=76

In Canada, it is hard to find airports where you can get courtesy (crew) cars. However several could make arrangements with rent-a-car companies to pick you up. And if some Mooney folks want to visit Ottawa, I'll be happy to provide any assistance if I can to Mooney flyers.

Yves

C-FQKM

• Like 1

Marks, this is very nice invitation and we will surely contact you sometime in the spring.

La raison pour laquelle nous avons ce merveilleux avion est pour nous permettre de faire de beux petits voyages dans ce genre!

We acquired the aircraft recently and it is going to get some improvements and overdue maintenance done soon: It is getting the LASAR cowl closure installed, new gear pucks etc. and we are flying with AA to California mid-November so quite busy here for the fall.

Wife wants to go shop to New York and I like the beach (we both love lobster). I would like to extend the same welcome to you marks and Amelia. We are based at CYRO, Ottawa which is an airfield located in the National Capital. On this site we have the Canadian Aviation museum just across the runway. There are no large permanent TFRs for the city except a few restricted areas a few miles wide over the parliament and the prime minister residence up to 3 thousand feets. There are no Customs at CYRO however this can be cleared at Cornwall or Ottawa International.

CYRO info:

http://archive.copan...r_id=1&ap_id=76

In Canada, it is hard to find airports where you can get courtesy (crew) cars. However several could make arrangements with rent-a-car companies to pick you up. And if some Mooney folks want to visit Ottawa, I'll be happy to provide any assistance if I can to Mooney flyers.

Yves

C-FQKM

Yves:

Nice to hear another voice from Rockcliffe. We are parked at opposite ends of the taxiway (ramp).

Hi Ned, we have met a few years back. I do remember but perhaps you don't. I actually know your nefew Sylvain Gravel who played volleyball with me for several years. I have not speak to him for years now though...

Regards,

Yves

C-FQKM

• 2 weeks later...

Son 30, daughter 33, 6 year old grandson and twins from the daughter on the way.

I started flying only a couple of years ago after wanting to most of my life, including 4 years on an aircraft carrier. Bought N9414V a little over a year ago.

Son took lessons to solo when he was 16 and lost interest. I have not been near to take him flying yet but hope to when we move back to Austin after the new year. Daughter has visited and I have taken her up and she loved it. I am looking forward to taking my grandson up and others. My wife is all in on the Mooney and appreciates the utility of flying it to see her folks in Peoria and flying out to the outer banks for a day on the beach. But originally she was a bit queasy in the little Liberty XL2 I learned in.

On most trips she usually sleeps or listens to music. Soon I will start introducing her to controls and the radio but I think she is reluctant.

I learned to fly and bought the plane after relocating and selling a house which allowed me to pay off debt.

Flying has meant I cut back on other hobbies. It is hard to enjoy the Harley as much now that I can fly. I still ride but not as much. I don't fly fish as much as I use to either. For me it does require more time and money and we do have to decide carefully what to spend money on. I am also another corporate employee but I am lucky that I can fly on business trips I take every other week. Which is why I am working on the IR ticket. Greensboro to St Louis every other week is almost always a challenge for a VFR pilot.

But I don't think I would have been able to afford the plane when the kids were young....my income wasn't big enough I don't think.

But now I can't wait to be able to share flying with the grown kids more and the grand kids. Barf bags, ginger ale and ginger candy always on hand.

My son will be 2 next month and is pushing 50 hours logged (has his own logbook) since his first flight at 10 months old. He loves the plane and flying. Every time he sees a plane in the sky and I'm not around he points upward, makes a plane noise and says "Dada?".

As a kid I spent lots of hours with my father hanging around the AP helping him putter on his Cherokee 140. He said my first flight was as a youngster of less than 6 months old in his old Taylorcraft on a cross country from SE Louisiana to Branson,Mo. I hope my son grows up to love GA as much as I do.

I learned to fly right after high school. Then off to college, career, wife and kids, and unfortunately flying took a back seat when the kids came. I always loved flying and knew that eventually I would get back to it. Well, I got back to it six months ago. Got current again, and then I had the opportunity to pick up N2976L, a very nice M20C that had been well taken care of. I purchased her about a month ago and my son and I are enjoying every minute we spend flying the Mooney. He is a senior in high school and has a bad case of the flying bug. I was lucky to find a CFI in my home field that has an M20E for his personal airplane and was kind enough to provide Mooney specific instruction including the manual retraction gear. I had flown N2976L with the previous owner on business trips and was familiar with the aircraft, but now I look forward to passing the love of flying and airplanes to my son and daughter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD