Booster Seat Blues

mooneygirl

I need some help here.  Our 12 year old FMP needs some sort of boost up to see over the glare shield. [Although he is learning instrument flying this way!].  I have used folded towels, and pillows [sometimes a challenge with the J-bar]  Anybody else using a booster-type device. I thought of perhaps a boating chair that was small enough to fit in the seat. Ideas appreciated.

I am thrilled he is learning to fly.  He flew one of the one and a half hour flight yesterday.  My Dad used to call me the old chinese pilot "One Winglow".  For Gabriel I would call him "One NoseHigh."  Good times for sure.

post-46-13468140958789_thumb.jpg

Try cushions. Go to your favorite home furnishing store and buy cushions used to make wooden chairs comfortable. My wife [5'-3½"] stacks three of them in the right seat. Sometimes it's a challenge for me to climb over getting in & out.

I even use a 2" wedge cushion for improved visibility over the cowl, especially when landing.

Isn't it great, not having the badly-overpriced adjustable seats???

This is a long lasting theme here at Mooneyspace. It behooves me (and others) that prior to the MSE, Mooney didn't outfit an adjustable right hand seat as standard equipment. And at $3,400 for the frame only, not many people are buying it new directly from the manufacturer either.

The first thing I purchased after buying into my plane was a high quality, thick cushion for my misses. The one I decided on can be found at Aircraft Spruce and it comes in three different thicknesses. The 3 inch that I bought allows my wife (at 5' 3") to sit up way above the panel, and it's very comfortable.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/noral_seats1.php

I did the Spruce cushion...very high quality. I have purchased 2 or 3 different ones over the years. Another trick would be to scrounge up an armrest-free base (just remove the back) to a child booster seat. I did this for my 11 year old and it worked great. Also, for people who have little ones, Clark and ASA headsets for kids are the worst...avoid them...they are a waste of money. They are very heavy...kids can't wear them for even an hour and they have awful passive properties. I have put Bose sets around my kids heads since they were babys.

• 7 years later...