Just closed on an Ovation

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw that you purchased an ovation that you posted on May 8th.  I can't believe that no-one has responded.  I say that it is awesome that you purchased your first Ovation.  I purchased my first last June 2023.  I'm enjoying it and hope you are too!

On 7/9/2024 at 1:42 PM, NewMoon said:

Owned 1 ten years ago, going to be flying it soon. Looking forward to it. 

Congrats! Absolutely LOVE mine - my forever plane.

14 minutes ago, Buckster said:

Just saw that you purchased an ovation that you posted on May 8th.  I can't believe that no-one has responded.  I say that it is awesome that you purchased your first Ovation.  I purchased my first last June 2023.  I'm enjoying it and hope you are too!

Thanks! Yes!!! I had no idea how much I would love this bird. And it's been a challenge getting the landing down. Took close to 40 hours of transition before I had the sight picture and speed dialed in. Love every minute of it! I've put nearly 50 hours on it since May.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2024 at 1:51 PM, NickG said:

Closed on mine on in May!!

@NickG @Buckster @NewMoon

First off, congrats to you 3 for the new Ovations! I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying them so much!  I’m getting the itch to move up from my F, but I’m concerned about useful load.  Based on my normal “mission”, I need a UL around 1050lbs to get my ~60 gallons of fuel and ~660lbs of family/bags.  Did you guys find Ovations with ~1050 or is that a pipe dream?  I don’t travel much in winter, so tks isn’t required.

Secondly, how did you go about your search?  Broker?

Thanks very much!

Drew

Ovations are nice planes overall. To keep it running well, replace the exhaust valve rotocoils every 800 hours. And use oil analysis to track nickel trends, which will tell you well in advance if an exhaust valve guide is wearing. In combination, these items can help extend the cylinder life dramatically.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 6:17 PM, Ragsf15e said:

First off, congrats to you 3 for the new Ovations! I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying them so much!  I’m getting the itch to move up from my F, but I’m concerned about useful load.  Based on my normal “mission”, I need a UL around 1050lbs to get my ~60 gallons of fuel and ~660lbs of family/bags.  Did you guys find Ovations with ~1050 or is that a pipe dream?  I don’t travel much in winter, so tks isn’t required.

Thanks very much!

Drew

My Ovation has UL #1100. I have TKS, 310 HP STC, all glass, no AC and no factory ox (I use a portable Aerox when I need it). I found mine online it was sold through a broker.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, philiplane said:

Ovations are nice planes overall. To keep it running well, replace the exhaust valve rotocoils every 800 hours. And use oil analysis to track nickel trends, which will tell you well in advance if an exhaust valve guide is wearing. In combination, these items can help extend the cylinder life dramatically.

Mine has been on analysis since the OH. All clear!

32 minutes ago, NickG said:

My Ovation has UL #1100. I have TKS, all glass, no AC and no factory ox (I use a portable Aeros when I need it). I found mine online it was sold through a broker.

Very helpful, thanks!  1100lbs is an incredible UL considering how efficient these airplanes are.  Thats a lot of stuff hauled a long way!

38 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Very helpful, thanks!  1100lbs is an incredible UL considering how efficient these airplanes are.  Thats a lot of stuff hauled a long way!

Couldn’t be happier with plane. Closed in May and I’ve put over 60 hours on it since then. Just flew my son from Las Vegas to Amarillo and back this weekend for a steak at the Big Texan Steakhouse. Lots of IMC, altitudes between 12-16k. Plane performed flawlessly, and I’ve started flying LOP getting the fuel flow down as low as 11GPH for 172 KIAS. I could go 182KIAS+ at  50ROP on 15-16GPH as well. Very versatile birds.

• Like 1

Congrats on the Ovation!

I bought one 21 years ago new from the factory. I remember the words " If you respect me, I will out live you ".

1070# useful. Usually flown around 10K' , always WOT 2300 rpm, 75 ROP ( as they told me in the 2003 3 day new owner factory training ). 

I find I learn more about Mooney maintenance on this website, than anywhere else. Thank You everyone.

Good luck!

Tom

On 8/13/2024 at 6:17 PM, Ragsf15e said:

Thanks very much!

Drew

Hi Drew,

I am on the other side of the state.  I have 1100 pounds useful, with FIKI and the 310 HP STC.  My standard mission is taking my family with lots of cargo, fuel, and TKS fluid to NorCal, about 600-650 nm depending on the route.  That gets us there with about 2 hours of fuel remaining in the no-wind planning, departing at 75 gal.  I used to make the same trip in a J, but ran out of cargo volume when the second kid came around.  A lot of the kid stuff is light, but bulky.  

-dan

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bolter said:

Hi Drew,

I am on the other side of the state.  I have 1100 pounds useful, with FIKI and the 310 HP STC.  My standard mission is taking my family with lots of cargo, fuel, and TKS fluid to NorCal, about 600-650 nm depending on the route.  That gets us there with about 2 hours of fuel remaining in the no-wind planning, departing at 75 gal.  I used to make the same trip in a J, but ran out of cargo volume when the second kid came around.  A lot of the kid stuff is light, but bulky.  

-dan

Drew, sounds like our O’s are almost identical! What’s your cruise settings at 10k?

9 hours ago, Bolter said:

Hi Drew,

-dan

Dan,

that’s almost my exact same planning trip!  My kids are 8 (twins), getting big, and my parents live in Carson City Nevada (525nm).  It sounds like an ovation would be perfect.  Did you also find yours through a broker?

thanks for your time,

Drew

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

Dan,

that’s almost my exact same planning trip!  My kids are 8 (twins), getting big, and my parents live in Carson City Nevada (525nm).  It sounds like an ovation would be perfect.  Did you also find yours through a broker?

thanks for your time,

Drew

Hi Drew,  I found mine through Jimmy G.  I had bought my J from him 11 years before, so it made sense to start there.  Sure enough, he had what I wanted, so the search stopped there.  FIKI was a priority, and I found that the long body Mooney's were the best deal on a FIKI plane, bar none.  FIKI in any other airframe will add 100's of thousands to the purchase price.  Feel free to PM if you want to meet up and try it on someday.  

At least you are past the strollers and cribs stage!

-dan

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NickG said:

Drew, sounds like our O’s are almost identical! What’s your cruise settings at 10k?

I am typically at 170 KTAS in the 8-11 k altitude range, burning 12.8-13.2 GPH LOP.  This puts me at 62-64% power (based on 310 HP).  I vary the rpm around depending on the conditions.  Lower rpm is smoother, but 2450 keeps me running cooler (I think that is deeper LOP at the higher rpm for the same fuel flow and power).

Based on postings from non-FIKI O's, I agree that the FIKI costs a little bit of speed.  

-dan

24 minutes ago, Bolter said:

I am typically at 170 KTAS in the 8-11 k altitude range, burning 12.8-13.2 GPH LOP.  This puts me at 62-64% power (based on 310 HP).  I vary the rpm around depending on the conditions.  Lower rpm is smoother, but 2450 keeps me running cooler (I think that is deeper LOP at the higher rpm for the same fuel flow and power).

Based on postings from non-FIKI O's, I agree that the FIKI costs a little bit of speed.  

-dan

That's very consistent with what I'm seeing. I've been cruising recently at 2550 at about that FF and can get a few more knots and its pretty smooth.

On 8/15/2024 at 10:36 AM, Bolter said:

-dan

I just made a long flight, and took a photo of my panel as a reference point for others.  Ignore the GS display, I enjoyed the tailwind, but cannot take credit for it.  You can see IAS, TAS, OAT, Alt, Barometer in the first pic, and the engine conditions in the second.  

2024-08-17 15.00.04.jpg

2024-08-17 15.00.08.jpg

I purchased mine through a Broker that had it listed from a pilot in FL.   The useful load listed is #948.  I do have AC and Oxygen.   I fly from South Carolina to Massachusetts several times per year.   On the east coast, I feel that I don't really need the turbo but If I had it I'm positive that I would appreciate it.  

I have thought about upgrading to an acclaim but would have to sell mine first.   It would be great to be able to trade it in like a car! 

• Like 1