Airport Camping

201er

I know that it is fine to pitch a tent at KJAQ, Jackson/Westover in the Gold Country of Northern California.  And of course most of us Cali Mooneys know about O22- Columbia where you taxi up to your camp site [$8 per night].  Big Bear also offers camping. Porterville, CA KPTV has a nice campground.

And my home drome of Oceano, CA  L52 offers camping for $10 per night.

I know Mitch has slept in his airplane before when he had an F model. And supposedly with the Ovation if the seats are full forward and back seats down you have six foot one or something to try to sleep in.

I have camped at many airports over the years. Sometimes for recreation, and sometimes it is just more convenient if you want to be on your way early the next day. Generally speaking if there isn't much going on you will not have an issue. Non-towered, unlit, no FBO = almost certainly you can stay the night.

If there's any doubt just keep a low-profile. A ground tarp, sleeping pad, and bag under the wing is barely noticable and doesn't impact anything.

I've stayed over 2 nights at the Mid-atlantic Fly_IN at Lumberton Airport, Lumberton NC. I volunteered there the first two years.  They had nice showers nearby (100 yds).I know some have stayed at my airport (8A6- Charlotte) in a tent and in the pilot lounge overnight.. No shower but hot water.

Bill