Decision time

231Pilot

On a cross country flight, my MX20 crapped out and now will shut down and restart anytime I try to view any of the maps.  It is, of course, no longer supported by Garmin.

I have to decide to:

1. Remove it and clean up the panel with a relocation of other avionics in the hole it will leave in the center panel stack
  2. Replace it with a GMX200 (expensive option)
  3. Remove it, move other items to the center of the stack, and install two aspen units and recoup some of the costs with sale or trade-in of the HSI and other removed instruments.

If cost were no object, it would not be an issue.  Also there is a Jepp subscription to cancel on the MX20 if a new/used MFD isn't installed.

Suggestions?

There's something to be said for a really clean panel, so I really like your idea of everything in one stack.  I would personally go with your Aspen inclination.  You may even get some much-desired useful load out of the deal.

I'd go with a setup similar to what my old plane had (except with an Aspen):

I hope to be headed out West in my M20K this summer - maybe we'll run into each other.

post-237-13468140943202_thumb.jpg

post-237-13468140943616_thumb.jpg

Why not find a refurbished MX20 to slip right in?  Wouldn't that be the cheapest option?  Assuming, of course, you aren't really wanting to replace it with something else.  A quick search found one for $2,800 at this web address:

http://www.avspec.aero/avionics-store/item.php?iid=819&ItemCategory=6

Lew sorry about your MX20 going TU.  Mine too went TU in my Lancair IV.  After researching extensively I concluded its best to replace rather than repair ($1800 min) or buy a working used unit (~$2000 + on ebay).  I now have a airgizmo mount for the Garmin Aera in the spot and find it affords way more functionality that the MX20.  Ofcourse its a portable so not legally primary.  I liked my Dynon setup and did not want to fuss with any of my primary instruments.  

Tough call... it seems almost every -480 GPS was paired with one of these, so I suppose they really benefit from having an MFD.  I absolutely would not spend good money on a replacement obsolete unit or even the follow-on unit as I suspect it will (or has been) obsoleted by the G500/Aspen alternatives.  

If you have Aspen or G500 aspirations, then I think you might as well go ahead and go that route if you really feel like you need an MFD to pair with the -480, and have the budget to support.  If your HSI system is currently working well, then it will have more value (obviously) than if you wait for it to throw craps and then upgrade.  

A Garmin handheld in a panel dock works very nicely too at a much lower price point and with the bonus of providing a battery-powered nav backup.

I would look very closely at the Aspen, Lew. You will never get more for your old equipment than you can right now. The Aera backup is also a very nice to have.

BTW, if I didn't already say so, your new paint scheme is outstanding and having that stripe slip behind your N# is brilliant :-)))

If you are deciding between Aspen or Garmin PFD's I would be sure I fly both before making a decision. An avionics shop should be able to arrange and show you both in real action and interfaced with equipment such as autopilot similar to yours. 

Personally first choice would be to replace the MX20 with a warrantied unit. Maybe Garmin has them. If unable, second choice would be to get a GMX200. Third option take out (and sell) the 480 as well, and get a 750. This gives you a GPS/Nav/Comm/MFD.

Sharp paint job by the way!

It is hard to believe that Garmin has stopped support for the MX20.  I saw an investment in a multifunctional display like this as the foundation for upgrading to Next Gen.  I think I will just stand with my two KX145Bs until things settle down.  Too bad, I thought an investment in something like an MX20 followed by appropriate send/receive transponder would be part of participating in ADS-B.  Makes a minimum investment with something like Stratus and a hand held look better. 

Installing a PFD would be an expensive solution to the issue.  Basically you would redo the whole panel and take out some nav instruments, and you would need to do a PFD/MFD combination to get back the utility you had in the MX20 (which is an MFD, not a PFD). 

What you need is an MFD solution.  You can find MX20's available for sale, either reconditioned or not, and that would be the inexpensive way to fix the problem.  That is what I did when my old Apollo (pre-Garmin) MX20 went on the fritz.  Bear in mind though, that there were several generations of the MX20, with better processing power in the later generations.  Processing power of the early generations (like my old Apollo) did not do a very good job of keeping up with all the options that can now be displayed.  So if you have XM weather, input from the GPS on route, etc., and a background VFR sectional that would be a load on the older units.  Also bear in mind that Garmin stopped supporting these over a year ago, before that if a unit was sent in it would be upgraded typically.  So if you buy a replacement MX20 I would be careful to buy either a later generation used (just before the switch to the MX200), or a unit that was rebuilt and upgraded by Garmin in, say, the last three years.  I would not just buy an older generation unit that is still working.

Personally, I would do the 750, but that also is an expensive solution.  Cheapest is just a replacement MX20.  You could look for a used or reconditioned 200 also, but it would involve redoing the installation, not just sticking a working unit in your existing tray.  The 200 uses a different tray than the 20.  The 20 is a good unit.  Not today's technology, but still very useful.  If you are not wanting to upgrade to a PFD or a nifty new MFD/GPS like the 750, frankly a replacement 20 would be the way to go.

I bought the Aspen 2000 because I had a great autopilot and navigators, but a cheezy FCS (RC Allen AI and NSD, both ailing). Point being, if I had a KFC 200 FD/HSI combo, I am not so sure I would have upgraded. I would trade your core MX20 for a reconditioned one from Garmin w/ a warranty...spend less doing so. It's the perfect combo for the GNX480 (never let that one go). The best bang for the buck is the Aspen PFD only, especially if you already have a MX20.

I say fix or replace the MX 20 and do the Aspen later or asap. If you are considering the Aspen or Garmin dual screen PFD/MFD combos, you should put a lot of time into it. Consider them a seperate issue. I really think the better panel is just the Aspen PFD and a center stack GNX200.

I looked at your panel pix, Lowell. I don't think a 796 will fit. Anybody?

Wish it were so, but Garmin does not offer the unit either new or reconditioned.  They no longer recondition or support the product, they have moved to the 200, and no one else to my knowledge repairs them either. 

We did this a year ago on my plane - bought a serviceable 20 and put it in.  There are used 20's on sale (usually on ebay), and sometimes there are reconditioned units that someone has been hanging on to and they want to sell, or reconditioned units for sale at some of the avionics vendors.  My shop, Modern Avionics in Eden Prairie, was able to find me one last year, and it was a much more recent version than the one it replaced.  As I understand it, Garmin said it was no longer able to get the screens for the 20, so stopped servicing it. 

For what its worth, I found this on the SE Aerospace website, about putting in a 200:

Upgrading from MX20 involves unscrewing connectors from MX20 rack, checking power (pins 1 & 16) and ground pins (2 & 12), adding APM (3 new pins on 37 pin connector, installing GMX200 rack, attaching connectors, and configuring GMX200

• 8 years later...
On 4/24/2012 at 1:00 PM, jlunseth said:

For what its worth, I found this on the SE Aerospace website, about putting in a 200:

Upgrading from MX20 involves unscrewing connectors from MX20 rack, checking power (pins 1 & 16) and ground pins (2 & 12), adding APM (3 new pins on 37 pin connector, installing GMX200 rack, attaching connectors, and configuring GMX200

Old thread, but curious if anyone can share more information on "adding APM (3 new pins on 37 pin connector)"  

What are the 3 pins?  What is APM?