CFI Training Material .

I am a CFI but have not done a rating in 10 years.  (I have maintianed my renewals during this time.)

I am looking for syllabus that both my (new) student and myself can work off for a private license.

In additon I am looking for a good resource on teaching to the new scenerio based training concepts.  This old instructor wants to make sure I am teaching the latest methods so my student passes his ride on the first attempt.

I would love to find a book that has lesson plans for both instructor and student.  That way I can make sure I cover all the material and not just teach to the PTS.  My idea would be to review the upcoming lesson.  Make sure I am comfortable with the material. If i am go ahead and teach it. If not get up to speed on the topic.

Any suggestions would be much appreicated.

David

** I just did a post but it showed me as a different user.

David,

First, let me say that I am not an active instructor.

Secondly, the SBT sounds good, but to date, I haven't seen any material or presentation that makes a lick of sense.

Thirdly, the best syllabus that I have seen to date, and I have looked at lots of them are by Ralph Butcher.  Go to www.skyroamers.com.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

Jgreen

PS:  You are probably going to get LOTS of opinions.

PPS:  If you do buy Skyroamers, let me know what you think.

David, the FAA website also has some useful info here: http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/training/fits/

Also, Arlynn McMahon, the FAA's 2009 CFI of the Year, wrote a couple of books on FITS.  I have them, but have not had a chance to read through them in enough detail yet to comment on them.

From what I've seen, heard, and read, most good instructors were using FITS, even though that term had not been coined yet, before it became a focus of the FAA.

Jim

Jim,

I too use "scenario based training", like what to do if an engine fails on takeoff, a thunderstorm crops up in your way, etc., but I don't see how you "formalize" it and proclaim that stick and rudder is really not importiant.

So, if you read a practical rendition of how this can be improved, please steer me toward it.

Jgreen

Those are exactly the kind of scenarios I've seen in most FITS syllabi.  Folks have just wtitten them down to codify what many of us have been using for years.

From what I've read, most FITS programs also tend to advocate for more X/C flying scenarios, which I think would add to the total time it takes to get a student ready for his/her PPL checkride, for example.  That's fine if $$ is no object, but that's rarely the case for most students.

I'll let you know if there's anything ground breaking in McMahon's books once I get a chance to read through them.

Jim

The Jeppesen syllabus is good.  So is the Gliem.  I just had my students buy one of the two and I would mark off the elements completed from each lesson.  We did some out of order depending on weather.  They both have a good quality, they cover all of the elements needed to be a safe pilot, not just the PTS. 

Quote: johnggreen

David,

First, let me say that I am not an active instructor.

Secondly, the SBT sounds good, but to date, I haven't seen any material or presentation that makes a lick of sense.

Thirdly, the best syllabus that I have seen to date, and I have looked at lots of them are by Ralph Butcher.  Go to www.skyroamers.com.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

Jgreen

PS:  You are probably going to get LOTS of opinions.

PPS:  If you do buy Skyroamers, let me know what you think.

David,

Ralph Butcher's syllibi and flight training manuals are the biggest secret in aviation, in my opinion.  I didn't buy either until I had been flying for, uh, many, many years and had 5,000 hours and when I read them I couldn't believe how many points he made that made ME a better pilot.

Both the Private Pilot and Instrument Training manuals are incredibly insightful and explain things that every pilot should know.

Let me know what you think after you peruse the material.  Ralph Butcher is a genius at making things simple.

And I swear, I have never met the man or recieve a commission from promoting his literature.

Jgreen