CFI Training Material

I am a CFI but have not done a rating in 10 years.  (I have maintianed my renewals during this time.)

I am looking for syllabus that both my (new) student and myself can work off for a private license.

In additon I am looking for a good resource on teaching to the new scenerio based training concepts.  This old instructor wants to make sure I am teaching the latest methods so my student passes his ride on the first attempt.

I would love to find a book that has lesson plans for both instructor and student.  That way I can make sure I cover all the material and not just teach to the PTS.  My idea would be to review the upcoming lesson.  Make sure I am comfortable with the material. If i am go ahead and teach it. If not get up to speed on the topic.

Any suggestions would be much appreicated.

David

I used the red Gleim books that came bundled in a large box, complete with a flight bag, E6B and a plotter. [i still use the last two, but have bought a nicer bag.]

From my [learning] experience, I can make two suggestions:  1) teach by "building blocks." Understand and apply each concept before moving on to the next. Size the blocks to fit the student's demonstrated ability to learn. 2) be thorough, and don't accept poor performance. Step back and repeat as necessary.

My CFI had a syllabus; the Gleim kit had a syllabus; mostly we just went through the books from front to back. Read a chapter or two at home, discuss the reading, go fly, discuss how it went, and assign reading for the next lesson.

Bless you for teaching! All of us owe our instructor(s) a lot. Without quality instruction from people who really care, we would not be flying our Mooneys around the country.

It has been a long time for me since I had someone interested in learning to fly.  I took the young man for a flight 6 months ao and he was hooked.

He asked me to teach him.  I told him I would donate my time but he had to have the money to rent a plance. (My TLS doesnt make a great training plane!)

In any event I thought that was the end of the story until last week he proudly showed me his bank book.  He had saved over $5,000 and wanted to get started.  

So now it is time for me to do my part.  I will never forgot my first flight instructor.  I was a yound kid and my instructor was in his 60's.  He had thousands of hours and even more stories.

I am truly excited about teaching but since I haven't activly done it for a long time I need to make sure I get it right.  ( I am alredy practicing saying,  "I don't remember so lets go look it up.) I feel like, 30 years later, I am learning all over again.  Guess I have to dust off the E6B.

I will check out the gleim books.