Isn't the NASA 747 Carrier plane 'experimental'?

I'm sure for an historic event like that a waiver would (should) easily be granted! It's NASA! They can fly the shuttle over my house anytime and for as long as they want!

I don't think we can get a waiver to mount another plane on top of the Mooney and fly around though!

Quote: Becca

Exactly.  For the most part, one government agency cannot regulate another.  Thus NASA certifies its planes and pilots for airworthiness (not in so many words) rather than the FAA and flies under their own rules.  This becomes very interesting when you need to be a passenger in a NASA aircraft, you have to sign a waiver that says you understand the plane and pilots may not conform to any FAA standards.  I've had to sign these waivers before flying on the Vomet Comet.  Interestingly, there is an additional wrinkle.  Now NASA contracts to the private "Zero G" corp for microgravity flights.  When it flies tourists it flies under its own FAA certificate, but technically when it is flying for NASA, its off the certificate, as a result, the plane could be equipped differently if NASA requires than what is allowed by the FAA.  Anyway.

As for flying over public areas, I am certain hazard analysis was done ad naseum as well as many many discussions with FAA, DC authorities, DoD, etc. before determining route of flight.  Its a giant bureacracy, this is how things are done. :)

Quote: gsengle

Exactly.  For the most part, one government agency cannot regulate another.  Thus NASA certifies its planes and pilots for airworthiness (not in so many words) rather than the FAA and flies under their own rules.  This becomes very interesting when you need to be a passenger in a NASA aircraft, you have to sign a waiver that says you understand the plane and pilots may not conform to any FAA standards.  I've had to sign these waivers before flying on the Vomet Comet.  Interestingly, there is an additional wrinkle.  Now NASA contracts to the private "Zero G" corp for microgravity flights.  When it flies tourists it flies under its own FAA certificate, but technically when it is flying for NASA, its off the certificate, as a result, the plane could be equipped differently if NASA requires than what is allowed by the FAA.  Anyway.

As for flying over public areas, I am certain hazard analysis was done ad naseum as well as many many discussions with FAA, DC authorities, DoD, etc. before determining route of flight.  Its a giant bureacracy, this is how things are done. :)

All they are out is fuel.  The rest is already paid for and depreciated out.

BTW a 747-100SR with those Pratts is going to burn around 30K LB an hour at 250kt, 10k feet.   So, 16 gal per mile.   LOP of course :)

Quote: jetdriven

All they are out is fuel.  The rest is already paid for and depreciated out.

BTW a 747-100SR with those Pratts is going to burn around 30K LB an hour at 250kt, 10k feet.   So, 16 gal per mile.   LOP of course :)