Space Shuttle Link

Seth

Quote: Becca

I saw it from Gravelly Park just north of DCA airport.  3 passes.  Awesome.  (Maybe not as awesome as when I helped out on the STS-114 ferry flight, but definitely more awesome than the fly bys we saw in Houston in 2008). 

Also, Gravelly Park, awesome.  I can't believe there is still a public park that close to a major DC airport.  Right under the departure end of the runway, spitting distance from the VOR and approach lights, what a cool place for plane spotting.

It looked good on the news last night, flying low over the National Mall. Although he did bounce the landing a little bit, he sure has a great excuse--not much practice flying with the load and unusual aerodynamic forces.

It's a shame that we are now shut down, with nothing coming on-line as a replacement . . .

I had the fortunate expience of working at the West coast shuttle launch complex for many years.  We got to see the dummy shuttle fly into our facility on the back of the 747 several times.

On one visit, the shuttle was removed from the 747 and transported to the Space Launch Complex 6.  That was an exciting time, finally seeing it on the launch pad after our all years of preparation.

It was a very tragic morning when we lost the Challenger and many of us thought at that moment, we would never see a West coast launch.  That sadly turned out to be true.

Our space program is very much alive with continued deep space unmanned exploration.  I do look forward to a return of humans, specifically American humans, to space flight and exploration.