20 spitfires found buried since 1945

As much as I hope they are recovered in some semblane of "restorable" condition, I have my doubts.  I will first have to note that "experts believe" leaves me skeptical.  If I thought I had found a buried Spitfire 4-6 feet deep, you may bet that I would wear a shovel out post haste to verify.

If found, being buried, may not be any better than had they been sitting on the ground.  The acidity of the soil is going to have a lot to do with whether anything of value survived.  Where I live, we have very acidic soil.  Anything metal left in contact with it for long will vanish in a few years, even bronze fittings on water lines.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and badly so.  Now, if Amelia Earhart would just come walking up arm in arm with Elvis.

Sorry, don't mean to be too cynical; just bored.  I think I'll go clean out my hangar.

Jgreen

Quote: johnggreen

As much as I hope they are recovered in some semblane of "restorable" condition, I have my doubts.  I will first have to note that "experts believe" leaves me skeptical.  If I thought I had found a buried Spitfire 4-6 feet deep, you may bet that I would wear a shovel out post haste to verify.

If found, being buried, may not be any better than had they been sitting on the ground.  The acidity of the soil is going to have a lot to do with whether anything of value survived.  Where I live, we have very acidic soil.  Anything metal left in contact with it for long will vanish in a few years, even bronze fittings on water lines.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and badly so.  Now, if Amelia Earhart would just come walking up arm in arm with Elvis.

Sorry, don't mean to be too cynical; just bored.  I think I'll go clean out my hangar.

Jgreen

If this IS legit...and I really hope it is...It will be so exciting to watch.  I would pay money to see a documentory of the excavation and opening of the shipping containers.  Man, if they were pickled and in crates they should be really well preserved.  Beats the crap out of "All Capone's vault" in my eyes anyway.  I recently read an article on the Griffon version of the Spit.  Not a BoB bird, but a highly developed piece of history.  Fingers crossed in Iowa

About 10 years ago there was a story in Flypast about a sealed, buried Luftwaffe bunker that was supposed to contain about 16 aircraft many of which, including the BF-110 are pretty much extinct. I waited with excitement and baited breath, but it came to nothing in the end. I hope this is not the case this time.