Texas Tornadoes

How did everyone come through the Texas tornadoes last night? The news sounds bad for Love Field and DFW; how are the GA airports, planes, FBOs, Service Centers, etc? A dozen tornadoes from one storm is serious stuff. I've had the good fortune to have only experienced one in my life, at Sun-n-Fun last year, and it was no fun.

I certainly hope there were no serious injuries or loss of life, whatever else happened. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

I have a lot of friends who work in Dallas and Fort Worth...some had some pretty neat pictures from their office buildings.

It sounds like the airports on the south side of the metroplex were more or less spared.

I haven't heard anything on KADS and KTKI, but it sounds like some planes could be stuck on the ground at DFW and DAL for awhile.  I'm wondering about the extent of the hail damage there.

Our plane was out at F46 tied down, thankfully the FBO was nice enough to get our plane in the hangar. The wx went from fine, to hell in no time at all. The wx thankfully passed to each side of us for the most part. Here's a neat photo of my college campus during the storm.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/467507_10150650829037810_542202809_9552575_424230116_o.jpg

From the news, pictures, etc., you would assume it blew half the area away. Actually the localized areas with damage are relatively small. This is not to take away from the horrible loss of those involved. I live 5 miles from downtown Dallas and we got a pretty nice rain, but no strong winds and zero damage. RBD also appeared to have no damage of any

Wonderful news, Don!

Reports I heard mentioned "direct hit on Love Field, 100+ aircraft damaged at DFW." Things like that grab my attention. Company HQ is in Ft Worth, but undamaged--seems to be concentrated around Arlington. Quick, I need to google a map of Texas. Between D & FW, right?

I just saw a video on the news, taken by a passenger on a commercial plane at DFW documenting hail hitting the plane on the ramp. I don't think they got "tornado" damage at DFW or DAL; hail is bad enough.

Quote: jacobwall

Our plane was out at F46 tied down, thankfully the FBO was nice enough to get our plane in the hangar. The wx went from fine, to hell in no time at all. The wx thankfully passed to each side of us for the most part. Here's a neat photo of my college campus during the storm.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/467507_10150650829037810_542202809_9552575_424230116_o.jpg

Looks like DFW and DAL (Love Field) bore the brunt of the damage (mostly hail and wind damage).  The tornadoes did not touch down at any of the area airports and the GA fleet in the Metroplex seems to have come through given the circumstances.  I was at our fbo in Denton (KDTO) and we had confirmations all Ft Worth and west airports (FTW, AFW, DTO etc) were spared.  I have a friend based at ADS (Addison) and he too was fine as were the folks in McKinney.  All in all the GA community dodged a major damage maker.  

Unfortunately home and property  damage in Arlington, Lancaster, etc seems to be worse than first reported.  Local stations are reporting atleast 650 homes damaged and the tally will go up. The Red Cross and other agencies are out in force helping people in need.

Quote: jacobwall

SMU has no school pride, I could care less. I like a lot of people at TCU, quite a few of my friends went there. I'm actually flying a friend to go see his GF @ TCU today so I'll be on campus. :o I'm cheating on my mustangs. :P