Big Country Air Race - bring it!

So as you know I've been really enjoying the SARL air races.  They are totally a grass roots air race and fun for the whole family.  If you are worried about racing - this is no Reno, low altitude, pylon racing.  It is more like a cross country.  They start the planes in speed order, so there is rarely any passing with the fastest plane starting first.  You fly a 100-150 nmi cross country course around a few points and then you land and your time is averaged to determine a winner.  Bonanzas do it.  Lots of RVs do it.  All sorts of planes do it.  Not to mention I adore the group of racers that has formed around this event - which is some of the most diverse demographic of young and old, men and women, all sorts of backgrounds and experiences from low time private pilot to million-hour-airline pilot, I have seen at any flying event in my 15 years of flying.

You know who doesn't seem to do it?  Mooney 201's (or vintage Mooneys for that matter, or many Mooneys at all).  We spend a lot of time bragging how fast AND effecient our planes are, so come out and prove it.  I hold the Mooney 201 SARL lifetime record at 186 mph.  That was in a day with 30 kt gusting winds at the low altitudes I flew the race at.  I can do better, and so could you - be the next record holder!  Plus, I'd like some "in class" competition - they award special trophies if there are three airplanes in type.  They get 3 182's, 3 bonanzas of same type, definitely many sets of 3 RV's, but I've never been there enough Mooneys to make it a real "race". 

Anyway, the next race we'll be at is the Abilene aair race - the Big Country Air Race.  It starts at Dyess air force base and is part of an air show (hey, fun for the whole family! http://www.bigcountryairfest.org/html/fast_facts_.html).  The reason I am posting this so early is because it starts/finishes at an Air Force Base and even though the race is April 28, you have to fill out some paperwork by April 14 to get a landing permit.  Yeah, its extra bureacuracy.  On the other hand, the air force base is providing free rental cars and free rooms to stay in if you want to arrive the night before or stay the night of, pretty sweet deal if you ask me.  We'll probably fly in and out the same day, but lots of people don't have that option.  If you come the night before, I think they are also going to provide a yummy bbq dinner.

If you want more info about air racing , let me know.   Trust me, if I can do it, you can do it!   :)   Sign up (bring it!) http://www.sportairrace.org/id4.html

Update:  The race course is two turns, 3 legs, and 80 miles.  A Mooney can do it in 28 minutes.  Also, you must arrive the night before. After the finish you can keep on flying away, or return to display your machine to the crowds until they let you leave at 3 PM.