Lessons lost

I knew this person through mutual business contacts, and had met him several times. He was definitely very proud of his Bonanza and a bit cocky. It wasn't hard to figure out what happened from the accident reports, but this narrative added some more pieces to the puzzle that I hadn't known...like the fact he had a history of bending airplanes in weather! I will say, that does fit with the character of the man as little as I knew about him.

Sad that this happens to often, regardless of training, experience, and equipment, stupid mistakes.

I've known  two guys like this; both very bold pilots, both good friends, both dead, both took innocent people with them doing something rediculous.

I bet she thought he was a great pilot.  After the weather closed in on him, he managed to fight the controls and, although bending the airplane up, managed to use his superior skill to get the airplane home.  Chuck Yeager #2. Presumably PDK, the home base,  was the nearest airport after he bent the spars.