Another EFB post

Folks,

Does anyone here have the Seattle Avionics SkyPad 1,2, or 3? What about the Chartbook? I know a lot of people have and love iPad and Foreflight but has anyone had Foreflight and another system and could tell me the advantages and disadvantages? I think I'd rather have the SkyPad because I'm used to Windows, everything at my military flying job is Windows, and I don't like the idea of being chained to iTunes.

I've searched through the Forums a little for "EFB" and gotten some decent stuff but very little on the Windows-based systems. Thanks for the inputs!

Greg

I'm afraid I don't have any information about Windows-based EFBs (though AnywhereMap is another option, FWIW), but I'd like to briefly address the "chained to iTunes" remark.  You aren't.  In fact, you don't need to use iTunes, or for that matter a computer, at all to use an iPad.  As long as you have WiFi available for it, you can install apps, download data, and back up the device to the cloud without ever connecting it to a regular computer.

I use WingXPro7 on an iPad 2. WingX uses Seattle Avionics Charts. Using a Dual bluetooth GPS ($75.00) new on e-bay. I was very impressed. I tried out this App and GPS last week flying a CRJ at FL320 to FL390 and this set-up was dead on for ground speed and course, we were cruising a 501 kts. GS and the iPad was reading exactly 501 kts. Course was exact as well. Altitude was off 300 to 400 ft, the Dual was aquiring 6-7 satellites out off 11.  I was using WingXpro7 in split screen mode....VFR sectional on left side and Jet High Enroute on the right....very nice. I also use JeppFD as our company pays for the up-dates.

I was a very loyal Flight Cheetah (by TrueFlight) user in my Warrior, where it fit comfortably on the yoke. The software was very functional, although not entirely elegant, and it had integrated XM-WX and charts and the whole nine yards. I notice they have a new tablet hardware that runs the software so I'm sure they've continued to improve it.

I sold the unit with the Warrior, and since my J came with a fully-decked panel I chose not to get any supplemental EFB until the iPad came out. That, with ForeFlight, is now my choice, although the size of the iPad precludes mounting it in my opinion. I just keep it out and available and have never had a problem with GPS coverage.

Quote: galt1074

Folks,

Does anyone here have the Seattle Avionics SkyPad 1,2, or 3? What about the Chartbook? I know a lot of people have and love iPad and Foreflight but has anyone had Foreflight and another system and could tell me the advantages and disadvantages? I think I'd rather have the SkyPad because I'm used to Windows, everything at my military flying job is Windows, and I don't like the idea of being chained to iTunes.

I've searched through the Forums a little for "EFB" and gotten some decent stuff but very little on the Windows-based systems. Thanks for the inputs!

Greg

Quote: danb35

I'm afraid I don't have any information about Windows-based EFBs (though AnywhereMap is another option, FWIW), but I'd like to briefly address the "chained to iTunes" remark.  You aren't.  In fact, you don't need to use iTunes, or for that matter a computer, at all to use an iPad.  As long as you have WiFi available for it, you can install apps, download data, and back up the device to the cloud without ever connecting it to a regular computer.

Actually, depending on what you're using for a PDF reader, you don't need iTunes to do that transfer.  GoodReader, at least, has a number of other options for getting content into the app, one of which is over WiFi.  See http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man-tr-wifi.html for details.  You can also download PDFs over the Internet and open/save them in GoodReader.

That said, I'm not aware of any CAC-aware apps for iOS that are currently available--though it looks like there's some development going on.  See http://www.thursby.com/PKard_Reader.html for some information that might be useful.

I'm not trying to talk you into an iPad, but I'd like to try to set the record straight on any misconceptions you may have.

Dropbox and CloudOn will help achieve your goal.  CloudOn gives you the ability to create and edit Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.  You can read PDFs in your Dropbox.  Anything created in CloudOn automatically saves in Dropbox.  If you want to read PDFs when wifi isn't available, open in iBooks and it saves the document to your bookshelf to read at your convenience.  Both apps are free.

Quote: danb35

Actually, depending on what you're using for a PDF reader, you don't need iTunes to do that transfer.  GoodReader, at least, has a number of other options for getting content into the app, one of which is over WiFi.  See http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man-tr-wifi.html for details.  You can also download PDFs over the Internet and open/save them in GoodReader.

That said, I'm not aware of any CAC-aware apps for iOS that are currently available--though it looks like there's some development going on.  See http://www.thursby.com/PKard_Reader.html for some information that might be useful.

I'm not trying to talk you into an iPad, but I'd like to try to set the record straight on any misconceptions you may have.

Sorry to come to this a little late but I use the Seattle Avionics Voyager product on a Motion Computing LS800.  I have been using it for a couple years and the more I use it the more I like it but it takes time to learn since it does so much.  I particularly like the geo-referenced plates but that is not limited to Voyager.  I charge my battery in flight and carry 2 backup batteries in case since it is my EFB (sectionals, low enroute, high enroute, and plates).  I don't use it for my Nexrad as I have that on my Aspen MFD.  I also prefer the visibility on the LS800 with the super bright screen to the iPad which I have trouble seeing in bright sun (my wife has an iPad I).  All in all, I would recommend it.  It costs more to get started but I have a lifetime subscription for updates so I don't spend the $150/year as long as I stick with the system.

I haven't used the Acer but I can tell you that the LS800 is cheaper and the ultra bright screen is very good even in the sun.  It would be nice to have a keyboard and touch screen but I have gotten very used to the stylus.

David