New Garmin App

Appears as though their trying hard to get into the mix.

Garmin Releases Simple and Powerful Pilot App
At the Sun ’n’ Fun Fly-In in Lakeland, Fla., this week, Garmin released the new Garmin Pilot aviation app for Apple iOS and Android devices. Garmin Pilot incorporates a number of features in a package that is much easier to use than the earlier Pilot My-Cast. A key difference is that Garmin Pilot replicates the look and feel of the latest Garmin avionics, including icons and interfaces used on the GTN touchscreen navigators and the aera 796 handheld GPS. Features include GPS navigation, trip planning, flight-plan filing via Duats and “electronic flight bag capabilities,” according to Garmin. Preflight tools include full weather data and imagery, AOPA Airport Directory, fuel pricing and fuel burn, en route legs and arrival-time calculators. Flight plans can be modified easily on the map screen by “rubber banding” a leg around weather or obstacles. Garmin has also included a switch to turn off own-ship position display. Garmin Pilot includes IFR high and low en route charts, VFR sectionals and FliteCharts. Geo-referenced FliteCharts and SafeTaxi charts, which can display own-ship position, are optional. Garmin Pilot is free for the first 30 days then costs $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year, plus another $49.99 for geo-referenced FliteCharts and $29.99 for SafeTaxi charts.

Quote: Bnicolette

Appears as though their trying hard to get into the mix.

Garmin Releases Simple and Powerful Pilot App

At the Sun ’n’ Fun Fly-In in Lakeland, Fla., this week, Garmin released the new Garmin Pilot aviation app for Apple iOS and Android devices. Garmin Pilot incorporates a number of features in a package that is much easier to use than the earlier Pilot My-Cast. A key difference is that Garmin Pilot replicates the look and feel of the latest Garmin avionics, including icons and interfaces used on the GTN touchscreen navigators and the aera 796 handheld GPS. Features include GPS navigation, trip planning, flight-plan filing via Duats and “electronic flight bag capabilities,” according to Garmin. Preflight tools include full weather data and imagery, AOPA Airport Directory, fuel pricing and fuel burn, en route legs and arrival-time calculators. Flight plans can be modified easily on the map screen by “rubber banding” a leg around weather or obstacles. Garmin has also included a switch to turn off own-ship position display. Garmin Pilot includes IFR high and low en route charts, VFR sectionals and FliteCharts. Geo-referenced FliteCharts and SafeTaxi charts, which can display own-ship position, are optional. Garmin Pilot is free for the first 30 days then costs $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year, plus another $49.99 for geo-referenced FliteCharts and $29.99 for SafeTaxi charts.

Back in the day, Garmin provided the same data, but in a more usable fashion. They brought graphics to a portable device. Stuff they designed and built a decade ago is still valued today.  

WingX has been slow to fully develop their application.

I am looking forward to the marketing battle. I expect increased quality and lowered price to be the result.

Garmin is indicating a positive note towards the iPad hardware.

Best regards,

Anthony

Quote: carusoam

Back in the day, Garmin provided the same data, but in a more usable fashion. They brought graphics to a portable device. Stuff they designed and built a decade ago is still valued today.  

WingX has been slow to fully develop their application.

I am looking forward to the marketing battle. I expect increased quality and lowered price to be the result.

Garmin is indicating a positive note towards the iPad hardware.

Best regards,

Anthony

• 1 month later...

I have to say, I'm a die-hard ForeFlight user and supporter, having jumped on their bandwagon when it was just version 2.x on a iPhone.  I think they have done an amazing job continuing to improve their product and make it useful in every way.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I finally downloaded the free trial version of Garmin Pilot and started playing around with it on my iPad 3. There are A LOT of features that I really like. The flight plan entry method mimics (essentially) what they have on the GTN series and the new portables, but it makes the most of the iPad capabilities. The user interface is well thought-out, and the access to weather briefings and filings seems very good as well. And one really cool feature allows you to drag a slider which mimics your flight plan, and you can program this slider to pop up information along the way. For example, you can have it show METARs along your route, or even better, SUAs so you can quickly see what military or other areas you need to avoid.

All in, to get everything with the Garmin app that I have with ForeFlight would cost $29.99 more per year, which covers the SafeTaxi system. The base subscription and access to geo-referenced approach plates is the same price as FF.

i'm not saying I'm gonna' switch, but I do think they've developed a very good application for the iPad/iPhone and I can see it being quite useful.

Been trying Garmin Pilot but am a Foreflight subscriber.  Some of the ergonomics of the app just not flowing for me yet.  Heard Garmin will release their own iPad ADS-B in a couple of months.  If Garmin can make the ap work with my GTN650 and Aera796 I would buy it.

• 3 months later...

I like the idea of all Garmins, or others...., enter the flight plan once, and have it communicated to all the other devices.

A common format would improve the human factors...

I could do my flight planning on my iPad , at home, and communicate the plan to my panel mounted and portable Gps.

I use WingX currently, taxi, VFR & IFR charts, procedures and ads-b weather. I will need to update subscriptions in the near future.

I have considered synthetic vision, but don't have a feel for it as a need vs. a gimmick or viable safety device.

Full disclosure: I have Hilton's email address, I have written a glowing review of the latest WingX software update, and feel that there is still room for improvement from all of the suppliers.....

Next up...IPhone5 with a back-up copy of WingX. I don't have a smart phone yet, but I sure would like one to communicate with my panel. Talk about nav/com.....

Best regards,

-a-