Bouncing Back, our mental health checklist.

The majority of the people of this world live with starvation, disease, genocide and 40% infant mortality.  Two billion people in this world live on one dollar a day.  We, in the USA are traumatized by the normal negative events of daily life.  We need counseling for everything.

No wonder our enemies see us as weak.  We are.  

Damn shame there is not some place you can buy a backbone.

Jgreen

Joile,

For those of us that closely witnessed/experienced the events at Reno, this article is truely a gift. A group of us that were there and experienced things we were totally unprepared for have been meeting once a month over some beers and burgers and we've been talking our way through it. Your article makes perfect sense. I'm passing it on to the guys. I think this is good medicine for all Reno survivors, especially those of us that are pilots. 

For the first couple of weeks following Reno, it was tough being out at the airport and not ducking every time a plane flew over. It was totally involuntary. We all plan on returning to the races this September. I'm hoping we don't look like a bunch of fools bobbing up and down each time a Mustang takes a lap. But we're not returning for us, we're returning to honor those who were watching with us that lost their lives. We're returning to support an event we enjoy.

Thanks again for the article. It means a lot.

sp

Quote: johnggreen

The majority of the people of this world live with starvation, disease, genocide and 40% infant mortality.  Two billion people in this world live on one dollar a day.  We, in the USA are traumatized by the normal negative events of daily life.  We need counseling for everything.

No wonder our enemies see us as weak.  We are.  

Damn shame there is not some place you can buy a backbone.

Jgreen

I found the article interesting, but felt it was going in a couple directions.  I agree that a traumatic event could and DOES result in potential ongoing issues, but thankfully I feel TRUE trauma is a rare ordeal...thankfully.  I have NEVER experienced what I would call a traumatic event.  The article then went in a direction that I DO AGREE WITH...the importance of adequate QUALITY sleep and the impact of stress and life events reducing quality sleep and the resultant negative impact that can result in being unsafe in a car much less at the controls of an aircraft.  Exercise, adequate consistent sleep, eating right and having a job and family in balance are all IMPORTANT keys.  I agree that the US has grown "soft" and "entitled"...but that is whole different topic...

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a link to an article written by a former flight attendant and practicing psychotherapist. This article goes hand in hand with my article in AOPA Pilot [April, 2012] for the GA pilot.  I have received many many emails and phone calls of gratitude.    This article, from a commercial perspective might be a good Sunday morning read.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/helen-davey/cracks-in-the-coverup_b_1419749.html

• 1 month later...

Hey, thank you Scott for the shout out in AOPA Pilot. I am very happy that the article was of help.  I have heard from folks all over the country and am so pleased I could be of service.

I am currently writing an article for AOPA Flight Training, so look for that in the future.

www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot/2012/june/letters.html

------------

Good medicine

For those of us who closely witnessed/experienced the events at Reno, “Bouncing Back” (April 2012) is truly a gift. A group of us were there and experienced things we were totally unprepared for. We have been meeting once a month over some beers and burgers, and we’ve been talking our way through it. Jolie Lucas’ article makes perfect sense. I’m passing it on to the guys. I think this is good medicine for all Reno survivors, especially those of us who are pilots.

For the first couple of weeks following Reno, it was tough being out at the airport and not ducking every time an airplane flew over. It was totally involuntary. We all plan on returning to the races this September. I’m hoping we don’t look like a bunch of fools bobbing up and down each time a Mustang takes a lap. But we’re not returning for us, we’re returning to honor those who were watching with us who lost their lives. We’re returning to support an event we enjoy.

Scott Peterson, AOPA 6073639
Santa Rosa, California