Shame on lycoming and continental

Shame on them, indeed (I mean lyc and conti).  Meaning no disrespect, but: the two major suppliers of GA engines in the United States for, what the past 60 years, get outengineered by....Austria? That's like having Apple outmaneuvered by Radio Shack. Or losing a war to Wisconsin.

Rotax could shove the two of them into the dustbin of history with a solid, higher output engine that many/any of us could retrofit in our current rides. Yes, I know: STC, regulatory costs, etc: but 100LL may or may not stick around. This thing will run on avgas. I see an opportunity here. Anyone for a 6 cylinder, 180HP Rotax next?

Quote: orangemtl

Shame on them, indeed (I mean lyc and conti).  Meaning no disrespect, but: the two major suppliers of GA engines in the United States for, what the past 60 years, get outengineered by....Austria? That's like having Apple outmaneuvered by Radio Shack. Or losing a war to Wisconsin.

Rotax could shove the two of them into the dustbin of history with a solid, higher output engine that many/any of us could retrofit in our current rides. Yes, I know: STC, regulatory costs, etc: but 100LL may or may not stick around. This thing will run on avgas. I see an opportunity here. Anyone for a 6 cylinder, 180HP Rotax next?

I had one of the first 500 produced. I love the way the valvles bust open at 6500rpm on your way to dusting Mustangs off the innerstate. My favorite, was doing 4500rpm in 6th at about 80 mph, then drop it straight to 4th and be over 100 in about 1.5 seconds. Great engine!!! I needed ear plugs to go near redline on that car.

Going from memory here but when Contintal made the enging for the Piper Meridan, they designed it for running lean and some idiot did not read the manual and messed his up then sued. Won like 32 million. Kinda hard to stay competitive with bills like that. Don't think we need socilism, just tort reform.

Shame on them, indeed (I mean lyc and conti). Meaning no disrespect, but: the two major suppliers of GA engines in the United States for, what the past 60 years, get outengineered by....Austria? That's like having Apple outmaneuvered by Radio Shack. Or losing a war to Wisconsin.

Quote: DaV8or

Going from memory here but when Contintal made the enging for the Piper Meridan, they designed it for running lean and some idiot did not read the manual and messed his up then sued. Won like 32 million. Kinda hard to stay competitive with bills like that. Don't think we need socilism, just tort reform.

Quote: astelmaszek

Dual direct fuel injection with ECU control and 30% lower fuel consumption with a 10.5:1 compression. Did I mention it runs on autofuel. Even the old carburated rotax managed 10.5:1 just fine on autofuel. 

Quote: danb35

I can't buy 30% better fuel consumption.  An IO-550 running LOP can reach BSFCs in the .39 - .40 range; 30% better than this would be .28.  That would mean burning 10.8 gph at 75% power (i.e., 75% of 300 HP).  I haven't seen an auto engine yet that can significantly beat a .39 BSFC.

Obviously a higher compression ratio will help, but that much?  I don't think so.

Data point...

100% hp a sea level in an IO550 (cont.) uses over 20 gph, ROP

Same engine at 11,500 msl uses <12 gph, LOP

Roughly speaking, 75% hp seems difficult to achieve at 50% of Max FF.

At the price of fuel lately, I would be interested how to achieve the increased fuel efficiency....

I haven't done the math myself...

I expect that a turbo combined with electronic ignition could improve things some....

Best regards,

-a-