Ovation Door Pin Orientation

Hello Everyone!

I’m waiting for my A&P to look at a main door issue for me on my ‘95 Ovation, but I thought I’d throw this out in the mean time just to satisfy my curiosity.

The back pin has popped loose in flight 4 times recently. The door remains closed because the latch at the top of the door continues to hold it securely.

There’s nothing obviously out of place (to me) except for the orientation and length of the latch pin.

The pin length seems a little short. Seems like there should be more pin entering the plate in the frame.

I’m also wondering if the pin is oriented incorrectly. It seems like the pin should be rotated 180 degrees so the tapered side of the pin is facing toward the cabin; like a typical household door latch would be.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Mike

4085f525d16511d837ca3a7ffa9bec37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pin orientation is correct. You want leverage to "push the door into the frame" as you lock the handle over center.

From the MM:

1. Adjust cabin door linkage to satisfy requirements listed below.

A. Latching pin must contact striker plate hole on door frame, the full circumference of pin, when mecha- nism is in full latched position.

B. Latching pin must clear striker plate when open- ing or closing door with latching mechanism in full open position.

C. As lower link (1) and bellcrank arm (2), (Fig. 52-2) travel over center, the spring (3), is to be com- pressed to 1.000 +/-.030.

NOTE
Washers may be added between spring and link or 310294-501 housing assembly (4) to comply with items B and C, (Figure 52-2)

D. The lower link (1) and bellcrank arm (2), in full locked position, should be overcenter a minimum of .3 inches, (Figure 52-2).