'67 F model questions.

I have scheduled a pre-buy on a '67 F. It has what I believe is a J cowl and windscreen conversion. No throttle quadrant. Is there anything specific to those modifications that we should look at in the inspection. Any kind of "got ya"?

How do I know if it is a J cowl and not someone different ?

J cowls are 2-piece fiberglass; the old cowl should be all aluminum, and have removable cheeks on each side, so 4 pieces. [I think, not an F history expert, but that's how many vintage cowls were done post-65 or so.]

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

The J cowl should be all composite, two pieces.  If it has this is there an STC or 337 field approval?

I guess my question is: Is it easy to tell the difference between the ARI cowl, J type, or Lopresti? I think the Lopresti has round inlets, and not J style, but that is all I think I know.

28 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

I guess my question is: Is it easy to tell the difference between the ARI cowl, J type, or Lopresti? I think the Lopresti has round inlets, and not J style, but that is all I think I know.

Correct, plus the LoPresti cowl has an exaggerated (and more effective) ram air intake under the spinner.  ARI is just a modification of the original E/F metal cowl to roughly look like a factory J cowl from a distance... up close you'll see right away.  It does use a J spinner too.  

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:

The F is a terrific Mooney!  Owned one and enjoyed it for 20 years.  Electric or J bar?   Look for the usual vintage Mooney stuff.  You know what that is…..Have fun and congratulations ( provided all goes well pre-buy) :)

Johnson bar and pump flaps which I take as a positive. :)

yes, I have my check list in hand and Dugosh is allowing me to assist in the inspection. Eyes wide open. 

• Like 2

I have a 67F with the SWTA cowl and sloped windshield if you have questions.  I have all the install drawings and documentation.  The SWTA mod retains the original aluminum cheek panels which I really like.  You can easily remove just one side for example.  You can see it fairly well on my cover photo.  If you have one, suggest you inspect the top cowl (holes, washers, fasteners) and make sure the oil door latches and stays closed.  Over the years I’ve added a few oversized washers along the aft top of the cowl to address elongated holes and I’ve repaired the metal flange where the oil door latches; it gets worn from vibration.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DCarlton said:

I have a 67F with the SWTA cowl and sloped windshield if you have questions.  I have all the install drawings and documentation.  The SWTA mod retains the original side cheek panels which I really like.  You can easily remove just one side for example.  

Product photo of 1967 Mooney M20F

I don't have a modified cowl on my '67F, but I do have the original panel which doesn't have a throttle quadrant.  I've owned my 67F for 25 years and I've never heard of any issues with the throttle/mixture/prop controls.  The only issue I've had with it is the mixture knob got super difficult to throw after Oasis Aero sent my fuel servo out for overhaul, but that was easily fixed.

I think you said you are bringing it to Dugosh for the pre-buy, you are in good hands.  So long as you have the logs and will be giving them to Dugosh as part of the pre-buy, the should be able to answer all your questions about the cowl mod. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Check for cracking in the fiberglass on the top of the cowling along the spinner contouring.  Also, give the cowling a solid tug in every direction to check for movement which could be indicative of camlock / camlock hole wear.  There is a mod that has been done to many of them to replace a few of the cam locks with flush machine screws with tinnerman washers and nut plates (I think) to help firm things up.  Finally, check for proper spinner / cowling alignment, which if off can be indicative of worn engine mounts and can also lead to heat-related fiberglass damage down by the muffler.  Oh, also, there is a mod to add doublers to the aluminum cowl flap fences to prevent cracking, and also a mod to remove the ram air, which is a good idea.  Your cowling looks very nice in the picture.

Dugosh is well aware of all of this.  None of it is as bad as listing everything out together like this makes it sound.  

Whoo Hooo. I knew there had to be something. Thanks very much.....