Jump to content

Best Airport for Grapevine?


Recommended Posts

Hey all.  I may need to be at the Gaylord in Grapevine in late June.  What’s the best Mooney-friendly airport in the vicinity?  Thx!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alliance/Perot KAFW probably makes the most sense. Can take hwy 114 to hwy 26. Others would be KGPM (Grand Prairie) or KGKY (Arlington). KAFW has a nice FBO and Mooney Safety Foundation does their 3 day course here…

That is if you want to avoid flying into DFW ;o)

-Don

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2023 at 10:25 PM, McMooney said:

KGKY and KGPM are literally across the street from one another

They are close for sure, but definitely not across the street. Airnav shows them 3nm apart. I've landed at both many times. KGKY has better services. KGPM always had better fuel prices. When I used to fly up for Rangers or Cowboys games I'd go into KGKY since they would drop me off and I'd get a taxi back after the game. Now with Uber and Lyft it wouldn't make much difference. 

If you need to be in Grapevine don 't rule out KDFW. I've landed there quite a few times and it's been very easy. It's been awhile but the last landing fee I paid there was $25 I think and fuel wasn't as crazy as you would have thought it would be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2023 at 11:09 AM, LANCECASPER said:

They are close for sure, but definitely not across the street. Airnav shows them 3nm apart. I've landed at both many times. KGKY has better services. KGPM always had better fuel prices. When I used to fly up for Rangers or Cowboys games I'd go into KGKY since they would drop me off and I'd get a taxi back after the game. Now with Uber and Lyft it wouldn't make much difference. 

If you need to be in Grapevine don 't rule out KDFW. I've landed there quite a few times and it's been very easy. It's been awhile but the last landing fee I paid there was $25 I think and fuel wasn't as crazy as you would have thought it would be. 

So, a look at DFW fees for GA.... $95 landing fee not waived with fuel purchase.  100LL is $9.19 per gal.  Even though it would be cool to fly in with the big guys....I think I would go somewhere else.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

So, a look at DFW fees for GA.... $95 landing fee not waived with fuel purchase.  100LL is $9.19 per gal.  Even though it would be cool to fly in with the big guys....I think I would go somewhere else.

Ouch, it's been a few years since I went in there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Yea i did the dfw experience just to say i did it. Airport landing fee was like $3.19 chump change to the FBO parking fee of $95 and that is strictly per 24 hour period, i was 26 hours and it was $190 no prorated for hours not used, then they proceeded to tell me that they close at midnight and don’t open till 7am and some freight haulers had started landing and picking up freight from 1am to 4am and then blasting off before 7am. I was like with no prorated fees and how high they are i would do the same thing too. It normally takes me 25 mins to get to the airport and flight time would be 7 mins or less as our airport is right under the 18R ils but that day they had a runway change to the north  and they vectored me damn near waco before clearing me to land 36L with best forward speed i was like a left down wind to base would have been way less disruptive to airline flow than to stick me on an 18 mile final and then demand i floor it because you could not clear me visually or allow me to land on 31L. So 1 hour flight time later I’m finally landing on the runway. Next day to add insult to injury they switch the runway back around again so what would have been a 7 min flight was going to be a vectoring nightmare until I cancelled ifr and went VFR and got home in 17 mins but i see why no GA planes are ever seen at dfw anymore, it’s faster to drive there and much cheaper. 
did get a wing picture of Z bridge while waiting for an Abus 319 to pass by. 

IMG_0647.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Will.iam said:

Yea i did the dfw experience just to say i did it. Airport landing fee was like $3.19 chump change to the FBO parking fee of $95 and that is strictly per 24 hour period, i was 26 hours and it was $190 no prorated for hours not used, then they proceeded to tell me that they close at midnight and don’t open till 7am and some freight haulers had started landing and picking up freight from 1am to 4am and then blasting off before 7am. I was like with no prorated fees and how high they are i would do the same thing too. It normally takes me 25 mins to get to the airport and flight time would be 7 mins or less as our airport is right under the 18R ils but that day they had a runway change to the north  and they vectored me damn near waco before clearing me to land 36L with best forward speed i was like a left down wind to base would have been way less disruptive to airline flow than to stick me on an 18 mile final and then demand i floor it because you could not clear me visually or allow me to land on 31L. So 1 hour flight time later I’m finally landing on the runway. Next day to add insult to injury they switch the runway back around again so what would have been a 7 min flight was going to be a vectoring nightmare until I cancelled ifr and went VFR and got home in 17 mins but i see why no GA planes are ever seen at dfw anymore, it’s faster to drive there and much cheaper. 
did get a wing picture of Z bridge while waiting for an Abus 319 to pass by. 

IMG_0647.jpeg

Will, yore crazy! :lol:
Landing at DFW just for the experience is like poking a pencil in your eye just for the experience!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, T. Peterson said:

Will, yore crazy! :lol:
Landing at DFW just for the experience is like poking a pencil in your eye just for the experience!

I will say the black limo that took me to terminal C and back to the flight line for my flight was nice but not $190 nice. Also missed a photo op from the the taxiway as it was south flow taxi so we did not go pass the GA flight line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.