FF TAS in non Type S

NewMoon

Do you have TKS? 

the POH tables are not great, and that's what FF built off of.

Mine is an "S," but the engine is the same.  the 30.5 x 2400 fuel flow at 50* LOP and 12,000 is reported as 17.6  (I fly mostly at 2400).  In my experience, that is a lot more gas than I am putting through the engine at that setting.  Peak is usually 18.2, and 65* LOP is 16.2- 16.5.  Were I to run at 17.6 GPH, I'd be about ~30*  LOP in TIT and less than that on the richest cylinder.

It takes some patience to really identify peak TIT/EGT.

My solution in my FIKI "S" is to degrade TAS and FF by about 5%, and that is usually about spot on.

-dan

Thx Dan, it does not have TKS.

So to make sure I follow, you reduce the TAS that FF shows for actual time in route? 

So I my case FF says, 211TAS, 5% (10.5kts) so round down to 200TAS. 

Flight time was 180 minutes so adding 5% gets me to 189 minutes. 

Appreciate your input.

Yes.  There are sliders to bias the speed and fuel burn.

29x2500 is about the same as 30.5x2400.  Anyway, when LOP, power == f(FF).

These planning numbers work out to the gallon most times for me on my 735NM 90% trip.

Winds aloft forecasting seems to be very, very good now, and that is the most significant reason for the flight plan numbers not validating (WX & airspace deviations notwithstanding).  It is really quite astonishing that I can flight plan a 3:35 trip with 25 gallons onboard at landing and land with 25 gallons onboard.

-dan

image.png

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, exM20K said:

Yes.  There are sliders to bias the speed and fuel burn.

29x2500 is about the same as 30.5x2400.  Anyway, when LOP, power == f(FF).

These planning numbers work out to the gallon most times for me on my 735NM 90% trip.

Winds aloft forecasting seems to be very, very good now, and that is the most significant reason for the flight plan numbers not validating (WX & airspace deviations notwithstanding).  It is really quite astonishing that I can flight plan a 3:35 trip with 25 gallons onboard at landing and land with 25 gallons onboard.

-dan

image.png

Grate info here Dan, I will definitely play with the slide bars. Quite an efficient plane. 

8 hours ago, exM20K said:

It is really quite astonishing that I can flight plan a 3:35 trip with 25 gallons onboard at landing and land with 25 gallons onboard.

You gotta show me this when we go up, Dan. That is 100% efficiency! 0 fuel burned!

If you have  a logs from a Garmin, EIS, I wrote a program to analyze them and show actual performance.  I’ve only ever used it with my own logs but I’m happy to try someone else’s.

12 hours ago, rbp said:

If you have  a logs from a Garmin, EIS, I wrote a program to analyze them and show actual performance.  I’ve only ever used it with my own logs but I’m happy to try someone else’s.

Hey thx for the offer. Plane is hitting the shop Wed,  I will see if they can get the data off the g1000. 

Can you plug in settings like 29.5mp/2400rpm/15.6gph and get a % of power calculation? Seems like there is lots of opinions on how to arrive at a % power number. Thx!

2 hours ago, NewMoon said:

Hey thx for the offer. Plane is hitting the shop Wed,  I will see if they can get the data off the g1000. 

Can you plug in settings like 29.5mp/2400rpm/15.6gph and get a % of power calculation? Seems like there is lots of opinions on how to arrive at a % power number. Thx!

its the other way around. for each combination of power settings (MP, RPM) and altitude, it tells you what TAS you got in that configuration

send the logs! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewMoon said:

I will see if they can get the data off the g1000.

You need an SD card in the top slot on the MFD and a reasonably current G1000 update.  Data logs won’t be written to some internal memory.

8 hours ago, exM20K said:

You need an SD card in the top slot on the MFD and a reasonably current G1000 update.  Data logs won’t be written to some internal memory.

yes thx, I miss spoke. Off of the data card which when I looked was not there unfortunately.  Once I get the plane I can gather the data.  Appreciate your info

• 7 months later...

I’d love to know other Acclaim drivers there various cruise settings eg

23/2400 equates to 16 gal and LOP or ROP degrees. I waste time playing at 23/2400 and 15 GPH for instance 

On 2/4/2024 at 3:40 PM, Danb said:

23/2400 equates to 16 gal and LOP or ROP degrees. I waste time playing at 23/2400 and 15 GPH for instance 

The continentals don’t seem to enjoy the low rpm’s like the lycoming. 

On 2/4/2024 at 3:40 PM, Danb said:

30.5x2400@16.5 GPH LOP.

2400 keeps the TIT’s quite a bit lower than 2500 (fewer explody events per unit time). Plane runs a tiny bit smoother at 2500.  However, just got my o/h prop back from Sensenich, and Jim at Centric Aviation AAF balanced it to 0.02 IIPS versus as delivered .17. I’m eager to take a long flight. Even .17 is not bad, so .02 should be like butter.

-dan

• Like 3

On 2/4/2024 at 2:40 PM, Danb said:

I like 29 mp/2400 rpm. Smooth, still fast and 15.8 or so.

• Like 2