Using heat to repair trim indicator lenses?

I posted this in the Mooney Bravo section, should have posted it here. Anyone have suggestions on how to proceed?

I talked to Kenneth at International Avionics Inc and he’s getting me a quote to fabricate new lenses, and also repair/replace one of the LED blocks that has a segment out.

Cheers,
Rick

46 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

I wouldn’t put heat on one unless removed, and if it’s removed I’d replace it.

‘I’ve not seen them on a bravo, I’m assuming flat pieces of plastic?

Pictures in the linked post in my first post here

2 hours ago, Rick Junkin said:

I talked to Kenneth at International Avionics Inc

@Rick Junkin Are the trim and multifunction lenses manufactured by IAI?  I had previously reached out to Mooney as well as local plastics manufacturers and it was going to be a little difficult to get a proper piece made without a drawing schematic.

36 minutes ago, Marc_B said:

@Rick Junkin Are the trim and multifunction lenses manufactured by IAI?  I had previously reached out to Mooney as well as local plastics manufacturers and it was going to be a little difficult to get a proper piece made without a drawing schematic.

I’m working through that now with Kenneth. I talked to him earlier today and he said the indicators they manufactured had incandescent lights in them rather than LEDs, so I’ve sent him part numbers and pictures to see what we can work out. If he can’t help me I’ll proceed with my repair.

My lenses have minor delamination and I was only able to remove the material that had separated. The rest of the top layer is still firmly bonded and can’t be peeled off. What I’ve accomplished so far looks a little ragged. That’s why I’m looking for a repair option.

Applying heat to the removed lenses with a heat gun worked to satisfactorily smooth out the warping that had occurred. I’m planning to apply a matte vinyl film over the top surface that I’ve scraped to obtain a homogenous surface and then reinstall if new lenses aren’t possible.

Cheers,
Rick

10 hours ago, Marc_B said:

@Rick Junkin I’m surprised that even the heat didn’t make it just peel up. At least on my multifunction lens it was pretty easy to gently scrape up with a fingernail and peel away. 

Here are before and after pics, and before I applied heat to flatten the trim/flap lens. I had minor but annoying delamination, and actually had a bit of difficulty cleanly removing the small areas of delamination using a dental probe. What remains of the original top layer on both lenses is still firmly bonded. I have some matte vinyl film arriving today that I plan to apply over the whole surface to hopefully achieve a more uniform appearance. I'll post a pic of the results.

IMG_4581.jpeg.4c2acaf25e6048f951e60e1c340e853b.jpegIMG_4582.jpeg.19b3c006fa612ec014b59e991462a0e3.jpeg

36 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Those are just silk screen overlays. You could get new ones made for a few hundred bucks. And for a little bit more, you could make new ones for everybody.

Or, you could support Mooney and have them order some new ones.

Yeah thanks that's helpful.

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Those are just silk screen overlays. You could get new ones made for a few hundred bucks. And for a little bit more, you could make new ones for everybody.

Or, you could support Mooney and have them order some new ones.

When I re-did my Bravo panel in  2018, Mooney had them in stock

• Like 1