Tow bar recommendations

Do you guys have a recommended tow bar to use on an E-model (1970)? I wanted to buy the so-called "deluxe Mooney towbar" from Aircraft Spruce, and they first told me it was backordered and it was going to come in on May 15, then now they told me July 27 is their new date they expect to have them. Since my Mooney did not come with a towbar, I don't think I can wait until then -- it is hard to maneuver the plane into various spots...

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Andrei Caldararu said:

Do you guys have a recommended tow bar to use on an E-model (1970)? I wanted to buy the so-called "deluxe Mooney towbar" from Aircraft Spruce, and they first told me it was backordered and it was going to come in on May 15, then now they told me July 27 is their new date they expect to have them. Since my Mooney did not come with a towbar, I don't think I can wait until then -- it is hard to maneuver the plane into various spots...

Thanks!

If I had nothing to move the airplane, I would knock together three pieces of the appropriate size iron pipe with two 90-degree elbows.  I’m sure others will offer more elegant (and complex) solutions, but I could screw together three pieces of pipe in about three minutes.

It’s a simple tow bar, make or have one made.. if there is another Mooney at your location, copy theirs…… I will add that the bar that goes into the nose wheel truss IS NOT 90° …. It’s slightly less by design so it won’t slip out while turning

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andrei Caldararu said:

Thanks!

Mooney Tow Bar (tagpilotsupply.com)     Here's an alternative to Spruce and they're selling it for $20 less. However I've never ordered from them before. Worth a try.

The original 2003 Ovation tow bar folds in half and has a fuel cup holder on one end so you don't have to get under the wing when straining fuel. I've liked it for 20 years and have received compliments when using. IDK where to get one other than asking an MSC?

Good luck

16 hours ago, Andrei Caldararu said:

Thanks!

A few on eBay 

9 hours ago, RLCarter said:

I will add that the bar that goes into the nose wheel truss IS NOT 90° …. It’s slightly less by design so it won’t slip out while turning

^^^^ THIS  ^^^^

I made two trips to my ass, before I figured this out and bent the tow bar accordingly!:o

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RLCarter said:

It’s a simple tow bar, make or have one made.. if there is another Mooney at your location, copy theirs…… I will add that the bar that goes into the nose wheel truss IS NOT 90° …. It’s slightly less by design so it won’t slip out while turning

1 hour ago, MikeOH said:

^^^^ THIS  ^^^^

I made two trips to my ass, before I figured this out and bent the tow bar accordingly!:o

Yep. Mine started slipping put of the nose gear, especially when turning with the wheel turned so that the towbar was hooked from the outside of the turn.

Checked it with a square, it looked slightly larger than 90°, so I took it to work and used a machinist's vise on a heavy steel workbench and bent it so it was ~1/8" less than 90°--now it doesn't slip out anymore. 

• Like 1

I really like the Redline UL https://redlineaviation.com/ul-hand-tow-bar/

It collapses to fit in the baggage compartment yet extends for easier maneuvering. And, it uses the same locking mechanism as the Sidewinder so it can't slip out of the nose gear, even when wet. It's not cheap, but like the Sidewinder, it's worth it.

Skip

12 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

If I had nothing to move the airplane, I would knock together three pieces of the appropriate size iron pipe with two 90-degree elbows.  I’m sure others will offer more elegant (and complex) solutions, but I could screw together three pieces of pipe in about three minutes.

Actually only need two pieces of 3/4” iron pipe and one elbow. four pieces and a T if you want a two handed handle.

The 90 degree issue is solved by using a much longer piece that goes in the wheel, make it as long as the tube on the airplane and it won’t slip out.

I put one together as a tow bar for my golf cart out of 3/4” pipe and it works fine, for that it took three pieces and two 90 degree elbows.

I have a nice pretty chrome one that came with the airplane, the end that goes into the airplane is less than 90, yet it has put me on my back twice before knocking up the pipe one for the golf cart. Both times I was washing the airplane, being wet I think made it slip out easier.

20 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

Actually only need two pieces of 3/4” iron pipe and one elbow. four pieces and a T if you want a two handed handle.

The 90 degree issue is solved by using a much longer piece that goes in the wheel, make it as long as the tube on the airplane and it won’t slip out.

I put one together as a tow bar for my golf cart out of 3/4” pipe and it works fine, for that it took three pieces and two 90 degree elbows.

I have a nice pretty chrome one that came with the airplane, the end that goes into the airplane is less than 90, yet it has put me on my back twice before knocking up the pipe one for the golf cart. Both times I was washing the airplane, being wet I think made it slip out easier.

I guess you can get by with only one elbow if you have a good enough grip on the long piece, or you only want to steer the nose wheel (push or pull on the prop).

55 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

I guess you can get by with only one elbow if you have a good enough grip on the long piece, or you only want to steer the nose wheel (push or pull on the prop).

Without a way to ensure the thing isn’t coming out of the tube on the airplane I won’t pull hard on mine, that’s how I ended up on my back twice, when your pulling hard and it pops out, your going down, your actually down about the time you realize it popped out, and of course you could really hurt yourself that way. So pushing or pulling on the prop is what I do, at the center of course.

I wrapped self amalgamating rubber tape on it because it’s grippy, but also soft so it doesn’t last long.

Ran into a Sidewinder here for a good price and just bought it, the golf cart works, but to turn the aircraft around etc I’m at max deflection it worried me, figured I couldn’t hurt anything with the Sidewinder, but could with the golf cart. I toyed with the idea of welding in a heavy spring in the tow bar so you couldn’t hurt anything but as my Agricultural contacts are gone I don’t know where to get such a spring, Combines etc are full of the things.

In Florida where there is no snow etc to deal with the Sidewinder seems to be pretty much ideal. It’s 22 lbs if anyone was wondering and folds so it fits in the baggage.

For the price I wish they had made it from aluminum tubing, but it’s extraordinarily well made with ideal chain tension adjustments etc. Well thought out.

Here are photos of the factory provided towbar from 2003. It still works fine after 20 years. I like the fuel cup holder on the handle to reach under wing to sample.

The nose wheel attachment in angled so it doesn't slip out. Lots of compliments over the IMG-4384.jpg.aaf536563c4487c96fac4ed3bd240fb5.jpgIMG-4386.jpg.fb08777c47efde6ea988a80e5809cb31.jpgfuelcup.jpg.0383fab626c1cefb2bff321332a3914a.jpgyears. Maybe a MSC or a call to factory could locate manufacturer? IDK.

Good luck.

IMG-4385.jpg

IMG-4389.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 12:33 PM, Andrei Caldararu said:

Okay, heading to the hardware store to see if I can make something up with pipe and elbows.

If I were to do it again I’d use a reducing elbow from 3/4 to 1/2 pipe. The part that goes into the tube needs to be 3/4 to fit well, but no need for that heavy of pipe for the handle. I’m no where near man enough to bend 1/2” pipe.

Might even save a few bucks