Mooney pre-buy questions

papapatoto

21 hours ago, toto said:

Is OP still here? @papapatoto

If all of the above is terrifying, I’ll temper it by saying that used airplane ownership is always an adventure, and for the most part it’s a labor of love for all of us.

There have been pre-buy inspections by reputable shops that missed important things, and inspections done by unfamiliar shops that caught deal-killers.

Like buying a used <anything>, there’s a leap of faith involved, and you try to hedge your bet by having someone put another pair of eyes on the bird. But it’s an inexact science, and there’s no perfectly correct answer.

If this is the plane for you, get a good report that’s focused on airworthiness items (ignore the cosmetic stuff) and then negotiate a price that both sides can live with. Then start the adventure :)

The key to any discretionary purchase is setting proper expectations. 
Personally, I have never had a prebuy inspection for the ten aircraft I have purchased. 
This isn’t a recommendation btw, I have personally inspected and reviewed the logs of each plane,  but each one I understood and accepted the risks. 
You can cross your fingers and do a prebuy, or cross your fingers and roll the dice. 
I have not bought hangar queens or tried to buy the “cheap deal., I’ve looked for planes flown regularly, and interviewed the owners. 
I think a plane flown regularly with good history minimizes the surprises, and my experience has codified that method. 
Aircraft that have been in a hangar or with big gaps seem, to be the biggest risk.

Buy the best plane you can afford, and don’t think the low time, hangar queen will be the diamond in the rough. A well used and well cared for plane will offer the lowest risk. 

• Like 2