M20 turbo Kit

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 3:13 PM, Jesse20 said:

Hi guy I am looking in to M20 turbo kit has  any one installed the kit and would you happen to have the install manual I would like to look it over with my mechanic.

Thanks 

Jesse

Send me a PM so we can discuss what project you have in mind.  I have a lot of paperwork.

John Breda

17 hours ago, Jesse20 said:

Thanks 

I Just emailed you with my info.

Jesse

I did not see a PM on Mooneyspace.  Did you send me an email to john.breda@gmail.com?

John Breda

17 hours ago, Jesse20 said:

Thanks 

I Just emailed you with my info.

Jesse

1 hour ago, M20F-1968 said:

I did not see a PM on Mooneyspace.  Did you send me an email to john.breda@gmail.com?

John Breda

I sent it directly to your gmail account I tried to pm you thru Mooney space but it gave me a error saying it wasn’t able to deliver 

4 minutes ago, Jesse20 said:

I sent it directly to your gmail account I tried to pm you thru Mooney space but it gave me a error saying it wasn’t able to deliver 

What e-mail was it sent from?

John Breda

I think we have been down this road, unless I have missed an update. 

The STC holder passed away. The widow had no desire nor inclination to support the STC, nor would she sell it. 

I think thats the gist of it. 

Did I miss something?

She apparently gifted the STC to their former mechanic, that is now or was in the federal pen for fraud. I doubt he had the ability to support it, even before becoming a felon. I don't know if it is officially orphaned or not yet.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

At our last IA seminar one of the FAA reps said, pretty much unsolicited, that the FAA can grant permission for use for STCs if the owner is unresponsive.    I didn't follow up to ask whether that was only through the abandonment process or if there were cases that were easier than that, but abandoned STCs can be used on request to the FAA.    There are ACs that cover this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, EricJ said:

At our last IA seminar one of the FAA reps said, pretty much unsolicited, that the FAA can grant permission for use for STCs if the owner is unresponsive.    I didn't follow up to ask whether that was only through the abandonment process or if there were cases that were easier than that, but abandoned STCs can be used on request to the FAA.    There are ACs that cover this.

So, hypothetically speaking, if you could source the exact parts per the STC, you could, in theory, ask the powers that be permission to install? :) :) :)

38 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

So, hypothetically speaking, if you could source the exact parts per the STC, you could, in theory, ask the powers that be permission to install? :) :) :)

Yes.   There is a defined process by which an STC can be declared abandoned, but it evidently takes three years from the first request.   In other words, the FAA gives the owner(s) three years to respond from the first request to the FAA.   There may be an accelerated path, which is the impression I got from the rep at the seminar, but I didn't ask for clarification.  

Even if it takes three years, people have been asking about this stuff and others for a lot longer than that.   Maybe somebody started the process already, but if not, it'd likely be done by now if they had.

See section 15.

https://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/order/8110.120.pdf

I'm no lawyer, and admit I did NOT read every detail in @EricJ's reference, but it looks like even if you go through the entire process (which is 3 years BEORE the FAA sends out a 60 day letter to the registered owner of the STC, then publishes a notice and ANOTHER 180 days goes by)...so more like 4 years, then they release the all the data to YOU.  However, you are warned in the letter that the data CANNOT be used to support an STC!  IOW, the way I read it, after all that, you could use the data to modify just YOUR aircraft.  That's it.

Real lawyers and experts can weigh in on whether I correctly interpreted this:D

8 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

I'm no lawyer, and admit I did NOT read every detail in @EricJ's reference, but it looks like even if you go through the entire process (which is 3 years BEORE the FAA sends out a 60 day letter to the registered owner of the STC, then publishes a notice and ANOTHER 180 days goes by)...so more like 4 years, then they release the all the data to YOU.  However, you are warned in the letter that the data CANNOT be used to support an STC!  IOW, the way I read it, after all that, you could use the data to modify just YOUR aircraft.  That's it.

Correct, you cannot use the data to create a new STC.    You, or anybody else who asks and gets permission from the FAA for an abandoned STC, can use it on their own airplane, though.

8 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

Real lawyers and experts can weigh in on whether I correctly interpreted this:D

It's reasonably plain.   I think it's also the pessimistic scenario as far as delays go.   Basically, once the FAA determines that the STC is legitimately "abandoned", they can disclose the data and grant permission.   The timeline described may not be the only way to do it, but even if it is, people have spent way more than three or four years bemoaning the unavailability of several STCs for Mooneys.   If I were interested in one, I'd just make the request and see what happens.

When this was mentioned at the IA seminar the presenter was a bit glib about it like it was no big deal.   He may have had a faster process in mind.   I wish I'd asked for clarification, but I didn't.

• Like 1