No longer streaming EIS data

I recently had the software in my GI 275 standby ADI and EIS updated to v2.60 and the software in my FS 510 updated to v2.80 at the same time my GFC 500 servos were replaced (they died during the GI 275 software update). I can no longer get EIS data through the FS 510 to Garmin Pilot. I tried changing the GTN the FS 510 was installed in at the suggestion of my avionics shop and it made no difference. Anyone experience the same issue and hopefully have some suggestion?  The EIS streaming has worked flawlessly before this.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same issue a little over a month ago and then magically it started working again a few days later.  I don’t recall if I had updated IOS or the Garmin Pilot app, but I also messed with the private WiFi settings which may have helped.  

Thanks for the ideas, I checked and I have the latest versions of both iOS and Garmin Pilot.  The wifi settings shouldn't have anything to do with it as it uses BlueTooth for the EIS data streaming.  I noticed that the EIS data is showing up in the logbook entries just not in realtime on the EIS page.  So far I have tried deleting the BlueTooth pairings on both the iPad and FS510, deleted and reinstalled Garmin Pilot, and verified that the wireless interface from the GI275 is disabled.  I'm out of ideas and so far have had silence from Garmin on the emails I've sent.  I tried calling Garmin and the guy I reached said I had to handle it via email so no help at all so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a bug in the new version of Pilot.  On my iPad mini with 10.7.5, the EIS streaming works fine.  On an iPad I tried today with Garmin pilot version 11.2.3, it does not stream- and despite the app being connected to the G3X, it doesn’t even see the EIS but it does stream other stuff such as the AHRS data. 

I ended up calling support and Erin figured out my issue- a somewhat Un-intuitive setting which was toggled off by default on my new install.  

More (or Home) -> Settings -> Logbook -> make sure Steam Flight Data Log In-Flight is toggled on. 

Having this on allowed my EIS to stream.  

• Like 1

Thanks for this, I already verified that setting.  When I was out at the plane yesterday trying something else they suggested, it worked the first time I turned on the avionics without me having done anything.  I then tried it 4 more times by turning everything off and back on and it never worked again.  Garmin seems a bit baffled.

On 6/21/2023 at 9:01 AM, 201Mooniac said:

Thanks for this, I already verified that setting.  When I was out at the plane yesterday trying something else they suggested, it worked the first time I turned on the avionics without me having done anything.  I then tried it 4 more times by turning everything off and back on and it never worked again.  Garmin seems a bit baffled.

I have a similar problem with my FS 210 in my new Garmin Panel. When the 210 stops sending data, I have to pull the 210's circuit breaker, wait 10 minutes, then the 210 will work again.

Thanks Tom, this has been a problem across many reboots of the FS 510.  Since it is streaming the EIS data for logging but not for display, it seems like it must be a Garmin Pilot problem but Garmin is stumped so far.

A few years ago I had problems with the 210 not connecting well. It was right after an update to the GTN. Turns out the 210 needed to be at the current level to work with the new GTN. What I learned is that if any Garmin firmware is updated, update ALL of them.

Larry, I agree and I made sure the FS 510 was updated to the latest at the same time everything else (including the GTN) was updated.  There are too many combinations to test so I figure the latest of everything had to be tested together.

• 1 month later...

Finally got to the bottom of this issue with Garmin's help.  It seems the problem is that if Garmin Pilot is connected to both the FlightStream 510 and a GDL 50, then the EIS data will not be displayed.  This morning when flying without a connection to the GDL 50 the EIS data displayed correctly.  I sent the information to garmin with the debug logs and hopefully they will be able to fix the issue so I can be connected to both again.

• Like 1