Ignition Harness suggestions.

I put on a new set of Kelly's, two years later it was almost falling apart (IA found it at annual, then found two others in his shop)--they were replaced free plus labor. The next year, had to replace one ignition lead after missing vacation flight due to 300RPM drop.

So try one of the others . . . . .

I'm wondering how long these will last?

I went with a Maggie harness on my M20K this annual with a Surefly addition, and they were quick, seem well built, and customizable.

You had Bendix mags originally? Not real common on the K’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

You had Bendix mags originally?

No, Slicks. But Maggie harness can be purchased for bendix plates or slick and allows you to mix and match (ie if you had a bendix mag and adding a surefly that requires a slick plate).

No, Slicks. But Maggie harness can be purchased for bendix plates or slick and allows you to mix and match (ie if you had a bendix mag and adding a surefly that requires a slick plate).

I assumed you bought half a harness for the Surefly, since Maggie does that. But i assume now you bought a full slick style harness from them.

Timely thread. I was just looking at the Surefly mag, new in its box last week. And I thought the back of the mag where the harness plugs in looked a little different. 

But my harness is off at the shop, along with the other Bendix mag that's being serviced. 

Is there a different harness required for the Surefly?

12 hours ago, kortopates said:

But i assume now you bought a full slick style harness from them.

Correct.  I was having right magneto issues and Surefly recommended replacing the harness.  Between install and Surefly it wasn't a horrible increase to just have new ignition harnesses for both Slick and Surefly. 

5 hours ago, Denis Mexted said:

Is there a different harness required for the Surefly?

Surefly uses a Slick style harness, so if you have Bendix mags you'll HAVE to replace the harness on the Surefly side.  If ordering a Maggie harness, I'd just call and speak with Nancy and she'll get you squared away.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BigD said:

I have one that is bad. I want to replace it. Do I order one or whole set for my next annual? Kelly, Champion or Maggie?

Mike Busch says "I have always preferred the Slick harnesses because of their superior construction and flexibility".  He has a couple of TSIO-520s in his 310.

Too bad their mags don't pass muster.  Ive  done a few of these conversions and the best one I've seen yet is the Bendix magneto with a surefly on the other side, and a Maggie harness.... bulletproof.

this year our plane is getting the 1200 mag rebuilt and then electroAir on the other side. We'll see how well that does. 

9 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Too bad their mags don't pass muster.  Ive  done a few of these conversions and the best one I've seen yet is the Bendix magneto with a surefly on the other side, and a Maggie harness.... bulletproof.

this year our plane is getting the 1200 mag rebuilt and then electroAir on the other side. We'll see how well that does. 

Out of curiosity, any idea what it costs to rebuild a 1200?  Would you do it yourself, or send it out?

3 hours ago, Marc_B said:

@jetdriven Byron, you must have went with the "Gold" package with gold plated terminals, coils, and brushes!  ha ha:lol:

1000 hours on a Kelly overhauled mag. I did the 500hr on it before, but everything now inside it was crap. There was a distributor gear from 1976 in there. Including the impulse coupler. 

IMG_8285.jpeg