CONCORDE RG-24-15 BATTERIES

M20R

One of my batteries is at the end of it's life. I got 4 years out of it so I'm happy. But today I started a search for a replacement battery. It seems that they are in short supply for some reason. Aircraft Spruce- No stock, SkyGeek - backordered, Pilot shop- no stock. I even checked Wag Aero and no stock. Anybody have any ideas?

I'll +1 that four years seems short for a Concorde.   If you can find somebody that has a conditioner and load tester that can do a capacity test and a conditioning charge, they can often be rehabbed if they've suffered sulphation or some other malady.   This is per the Concorde Component Maintenance Manual, so is a recommended process for a battery that may be a little droopy.  I have a capacity load tester and conditioner, but I'm in AZ so I'm not much help.     My RG-35AXC is four or five years old and just tested >90% with a load tester, and the conditioner estimated it is still at 35AH (full capacity).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hypertech said:

Same situation.  Couldn't find one.  Decided to give the sealed Gill a try.  I may regret it later but I was able to get one - Desser had them in stock.

I tried a sealed Gill 7243 in 2020 when I couldn't get a Concorde- it lasted a little over a year here in TX before it failed the capacity test. 

One year and a few months later in Jun 2021 it didn't just fail the capacity test during annual, it was dead as a doornail. I was actually stupid enough to call in and talk to their warranty claims department. Since I was past the first twelve months they offered me a credit of less than $200 if I wanted to buy another Gill battery. Not a chance. She said "Well you could give the credit to someone else.". I told her that I wouldn't do that to any of my friends. Never again.

Textron has two RG24-15 in stock as of 2 minutes ago. See if Desser will cancel the order.

I have noticed that the batteries on our aircraft with two 28-volt batteries do not have a good longevity record, while those with one battery enjoy a longer lifespan. Two of my Concorde batteries (RG-35 if memory serves) lasted over 7 years and I was pleased.

Is it a 28V thing?  Is it because you guys fly higher and in colder temps?

On 6/5/2023 at 4:58 PM, LANCECASPER said:

I tried a sealed Gill 7243 in 2020 when I couldn't get a Concorde- it lasted a little over a year here in TX before it failed the capacity test. 

One year and a few months later in Jun 2021 it didn't just fail the capacity test during annual, it was dead as a doornail. I was actually stupid enough to call in and talk to their warranty claims department. Since I was past the first twelve months they offered me a credit of less than $200 if I wanted to buy another Gill battery. Not a chance. She said "Well you could give the credit to someone else.". I told her that I wouldn't do that to any of my friends. Never again.

Textron has two RG24-15 in stock as of 2 minutes ago. See if Desser will cancel the order.

Its already here and installed.  Supposedly higher capacity and didn't give me any trouble starting.  So far so good but of course its only been a week.

12 hours ago, Bartman said:

I have noticed that the batteries on our aircraft with two 28-volt batteries do not have a good longevity record, while those with one battery enjoy a longer lifespan. Two of my Concorde batteries (RG-35 if memory serves) lasted over 7 years and I was pleased.

Is it a 28V thing?  Is it because you guys fly higher and in colder temps?

I think it’s a 28V thing, possibly and I’m just guessing really, but because the cells are smaller, or maybe it’s because one dead cell kills a battery and twice as many means a failure more often?

Batteries in our C-210 only lasted a couple of years and it was a single battery airplane, and it’s battery was sort of in the firewall so it didn’t get cold.