Replacement Built-in O2 Bottles

My K model is currently in annual, with a timed out O2 bottle that's in need of replacement. In searching for a replacement on the 'net, it appears that the OEM bottles listed in the IPC are no longer available. Have the part numbers for these changed, and, if so, is there any AC which provides a cross reference between old and new part numbers?

Having said all of this, it appears that PMA'd bottles are again widely available. Anyone have any recent experience with lead times on these?

--Paul Keller

Never having seen a bottle for a K I’m assuming it must be Carbon Fiber?

I believe if you can find one that has the same form, fit and function that’s all you need. 

I don’t think you’ll need any specific approval, but I would use this AC as approval if needed

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_23-27.pdf

ALL Mooney’s regardless of date of manufacture are covered by this AC

On edit, it’s my opinion that you don’t even need a PMA part, I believe compressed gas cylinders my be DOT regulated?

You didn't mention bottle size but the N23D-21507-04 is PMA'd for the Mooney's original Kevlar 115.6 bottle. Scott is now AVOX,

When I did mine, I had https://www.c-l-aero.com/ overhaul the first stage of my regulator and function test the altitude compensating 2nd stage (its not possible to to overhaul the second stage - just replace). 

Edited by kortopates

Spruce has a good selection too. Original companies were bought out. Direct replacements are still available. Be sure to get the new gasket for the Regulator. Regulator should go out for OH but nobody seems to do that.

-Matt

I'd agree that O2 bottles, even for built-in systems, at least in the US, are mostly regulated by DOT and not the FAA. The regulations governing their hydro test and replacement frequency are DOT regulations, and not the FARs. These are mostly kevlar bottles for built-in systems, which have a specified lifetime since manufacture. As a result, saving $100 on a bottle that's a year older is a false economy. Yes, I know about the oxygen lady, and that Spruce is also listing them. Conveniently, Spruce also provides the size & weight of the various bottles they're selling.

The Mooney IPC provides for either a 77 or 115 cf bottle, as a result either is a legal replacement. The size I'm interested in is still TBD. We're waiting until the old bottle is out to make a decision. It isn't clear that the retention brackets can handle the larger bottle, in spite of the IPC not specifying any hardware differences for the smaller or larger bottles. The expiring bottle is a 77 cf bottle.

--Paul Keller

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 3:32 PM, M20F said:

Call Jimmy Garrison he was selling a batch awhile ago. 

I bought one from Jimmy a couple of years ago, all went well. Went to turboprop east for the testing but they couldn’t do the install.