GFC-500 autopilot in Mooney M20R with factory air conditioning?

I have recently booked an Garmin GFC500 autopilot  installation on my 2000 Mooney M20R with factory air conditioning.

After long waited time I delivered the aircraft for installation to the avionic shop and 2 days later received a telephone call informing me that the installation cannot be performed since I have a air conditioning in the plane and they offered my deposit back.

Anyone there with a M20R with Air condition and a installed GFC500? 

5 hours ago, MTT said:

Mooney sent this letter in 2019 and it sounds like Garmin does not have a solution yet.

SL_19-05-compressed.pdf 111.16 kB · 7 downloads

Since that was issued 4 years ago, that's not very promising.  Of course an undesirable alternative is to remove the airconditioner.  I did a transition training in an Ovation in Canada where the air conditioner was removed.

Is it possible to upgrade your existing autopilot setup with one of the same brand.  If you have the Bendix King AP, possibly their new Aerocruze 230 might be worth considering—retaining your servos, etc. Of course, you might be wanting to do other panel work that involves integration issues that necessitates going with the Garmin autopilot.      I haven’t flown with the 230, but I have flown with the GFC500 installed in both mid and long body Mooneys.  In my opinion, the GFC500 is a nice setup, but I believe is right at the capabilities limit on the long body Mooney.  The GFC600 is more suited to the longer body’s performance envelope and has a more open architecture design for other product lines…(even though none of the Mooney lineup are on the GFC600 supported aircraft list at this time).

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...