After annual, cant get the idle down

bruce_m20e

So another thing i am trying to tackle is the idle,  was idling around 700 before, changed a lot of things, my mechanic has a sonicator and cleaned out a lot of negligence.  Lot of fuel lines were replaced with the new JPI that was installed, a new baffling system, but nothing in the engine itself.  It now wants to idle at 1100.  Mechanic is scratching his head because he did touch anything engine wise.

Is there an idle screw and what is everyones idle rpm?   I scream at taxiing now!

Yes there is an idle screw and it’s very easy to find.

Sounds like you’re really not familiar so get someone to move the throttle, you will see an arm moving, when the throttle is fully closed the arm should rest against a screw, it will be pretty obvious.

I’m guessing it won’t be, if it’s not adjusting the screw will do no good, as I’m guessing, my guess is that the throttle cable has slipped.

This really is very easy stuff, same as a lawnmower, if it has your mechanic stumped it makes me wonder

1 minute ago, A64Pilot said:

Yes there is an idle screw and it’s very easy to find.

Sounds like you’re really not familiar so get someone to move the throttle, you will see an arm moving, when the throttle is fully closed the arm should rest against a screw, it will be pretty obvious.

I’m guessing it won’t be, if it’s not adjusting the screw will do no good, as I’m guessing, my guess is that the throttle cable has slipped.

This really is very easy stuff, same as a lawnmower, if it has your mechanic stumped it makes me wonder

right side correct(pax side)

4 hours ago, bruce_m20e said:

So another thing i am trying to tackle is the idle,  was idling around 700 before, changed a lot of things, my mechanic has a sonicator and cleaned out a lot of negligence.  Lot of fuel lines were replaced with the new JPI that was installed, a new baffling system, but nothing in the engine itself.  It now wants to idle at 1100.  Mechanic is scratching his head because he did touch anything engine wise.

Is there an idle screw and what is everyones idle rpm?   I scream at taxiing now!

If it was an annual inspection did he not clean the plugs, maybe readjust timing, maybe clean the injectors?    An increased idle may also be an indication of a vacuum leak, so if something was moved/bumped/adjusted that affected vacuum, e.g., the manifold pressure line, that can also affect idle.

• Like 1