Bird-proofing Empennage

Has anyone come up with any novel and reasonably priced solution for keeping birds off the vertical stab and rudder? Maybe by putting some sort of spike strip on top? If so, how did you build it so that it can attach without blowing off while the airplane is tied down? I'm trying to avoid having to shell out $$$ for another fabric cover; my existing canopy cover is great but adding another section for the tail is not cheap. 

I actually did the spike strip for a while and it worked, but a pain getting it up there without a ladder or something to step on.  But luckily the guy that always had the nest in his tail moved, so the birds moved on too.

I have the "towel bar" antennas on the tail so my contraption was some of that orange construction webbing.  There is a/was a think plastic big holes and more fine web kind which I used.  I glued the spikes I got (easy to find in NYC as they use them on window ledges, should be online too) to the webbing and then used wooden cloths pins to attach it to the antennas and keep it in place.  

Birds couldn't lad on the antenna because of  the webbing and the spikes kept them off the flat top of the tail.  But again, just a pain to keep putting it on, but if you need to it worked for me. 

ADDED:  But of course they're available online! :lol:   https://www.amazon.com/bird-spikes/s?k=bird+spikes

Edited by PeteMc

No.  I just try to keep the tail waxed where the bird droppings are easy to remove.  And if I see droppings, I wipe it down immediately.  Same with the prop.  Don't like it when it gets in the seams and it's tough to get out.  Would be nice to have a solution and I guess I could leave a ladder or step stool in my truck.... 

9 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Plastic owl.

The owl works, but you need to move it around to different positions.  Guy that had one on his prop said that the birds eventually figured out it was fake and kept landing on it.  Once he moved it around a bit on a pole, birds stayed away.

On 5/26/2023 at 10:17 AM, catchman86 said:

Has anyone come up with any novel and reasonably priced solution for keeping birds off the vertical stab and rudder? Maybe by putting some sort of spike strip on top? If so, how did you build it so that it can attach without blowing off while the airplane is tied down? I'm trying to avoid having to shell out $$$ for another fabric cover; my existing canopy cover is great but adding another section for the tail is not cheap. 

I don’t have this problem as my birds prefer to fly inside the cabin.

IMG_6661.jpeg.299283c38655008d8f0fa70f22796a68.jpeg

But for everyone else there’s:

https://www.proppastie.com/Bird Spikes.html

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

My tail was full of bird shit yesterday and i also decided to tackle this problem.   I noticed i had a bird nest in the tail which i guess keeps the birds coming back.  I cleaned that out (even found three eggs) and got a pool noodle to block the access.  I got one of those pressurized garden sprayers to clean the mess and that worked great.  Im hoping that without the ability to set up a nest the birds will go shit on someone else’s plane.  

Be aware: it is generally illegal to disturb an active nest (eggs or brooding young) of native species. Invasive species(sparrows and starlings) have at it. I’ve seen robins build nests in some pretty stupid places. My favorite was atop the rear wheel of a Chevy Tahoe/ burban at the Springfield IL airport. That SUV was a mess for sure.
-dan

C32CD790-8321-4D24-AA74-B763F6F7AAA6.jpeg

What worked for me during all those years before I could afford a hangar:  Bird spike kit from Amazon.  Glue a strip of felt to the bottom. Add a plastic rod (to enable placement and removal by using the tow bar) by using an angle bracket on one end and a simple clip on the other (for positioning).  Add a large flexible metal, rubber-covered tie cord or a bungee cord.  (Note: the first photo is before I added the plastic rod.  I used a ladder to position the spikes until I got the bright idea of using the towbar+plastic rod.)

Requires that you have the old-style glideslope antenna.  Otherwise you'll need a different front anchor.  The rear clip just sits on top of the rudder and doesn't clamp onto anything; it merely prevents the spike strip from blowing sideways.

Actually, I no longer need mine. If you (or anyone) would like it, DM me.

IMG_3990.JPG

IMG_7458.jpg

Bird spikes.JPG

IMG_7448.jpg

spike strip.jpg

• Like 4

For the other parts of the empennage where birds love to enter, the best bird plugs I've found can be made out of those plastic foam camping rolls -- they're like foam rubber but don't absorb water.  Cut them to shape and stuff them in.  They can be re-used forever and don' t mess up the paint.  Don't forget the gaps under the wing roots.

• 2 weeks later...

My friends, here's my first prototype solution. It's a pool noodle with bird spikes attached by JB Weld. I sliced an opening down the length of the tube. The inside wasn't too rough either so the paint should be fine. The fit is mostly snug but I will have to test how well this keeps up with the wind.

F605565D-654E-48C6-972F-E4DBFDD7B7FD_1_105_c.jpeg.16f39b40914bae3039dc3c56cd968037.jpeg

69FB4489-C33C-4080-B1B4-FE8FCCDFEC24_1_105_c.jpeg.43e9e96aee15bd030c6c7f8e2d0b7e5e.jpeg

• Like 1

Not an airplane but I had bird issues on our sailboat before we went cruising.

I tried hanging CD’s on fishing line under the shiny object theory, no effect.

I have witnessed other boats with plastic owls and birds perched on the plastic owl so I didn’t give that a try. Same with the rubber snake, but the snake can scare the snot out of people walking by until they realize it’s not a real Rattlesnake. I know you don’t see Rattlesnakes on salt water but your brain doesn’t kick in right away

Tried stringing fishing line through the rigging because that’s supposed to work, it didn’t.

Only thing that did work may offend some, but I shot one of the Bastids and strung it up in the rigging for all to see, I guess they didn’t like seeing their dead brother because they seemed to avoid the “death” boat.

If you can’t bring yourself to shooting one I believe dead bird decoys are sold, but I don’t know if they work as well as a real dead bird.

Interestingly even after I threw the dead one away, they seemed to remember which boat was the death boat because I didn’t have bird droppings anymore.

• Haha 1